Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Im Not There
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.21.2007, 02:30 AM   #1
ALIEN ANAL
invito al cielo

ALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's asses
Formerly going by the title of "I'm Not There: Suppositions on a Film Concerning Dylan", this is a film about the life of Bob Dylan. The film follows seven characters, each embodying a different aspect of Dylan's life story and music. It's the first biographical feature project to secure the approval of the pop culture icon. The film is about the life of Bob Dylan's early days as a struggling folksinger, the rise to the forefront of the early-'60s folk scene, the controversial switch to rock, the motorcycle accident and the subsequent retreat from public view, and the latter-day de-emphasis of recording and concentration on the concert series known as the Never Ending Tour. Sounes somehow has uncovered some new information in that oft-scanned showbiz legend, mostly about Dylan's childhood and his jealously guarded family life. Some of it actually provides further insight into his songs, particularly those about his wife, Sara (Gainsbourg). Sounes also blows the lid off Dylan's heretofore unknown 1986 marriage to one of his backup singers. Each story expresses an aspect of Dylan's mercurial personality and each story is to be filmed differently, in a style appropriate to its theme: Woody (Franklin) - an 11-year-old black boy, always on the run; Robbie - a womanizing performer, always on the road; Jude (Blanchett) - the young androgynous rock star; John/Jack (Bale) - a folk idol who reinvents himself as an evangelist; Billy (Gere) - the famous outlaw, miraculously alive but growing old. Written by Marisa_Gabriella

trailer
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nTKswiQVh8Y

2 min clip from the film

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VyWgzUGOl...elated&search=
Old 08.24.2007, 01:50 AM   #2
ALIEN ANAL
invito al cielo

ALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's asses
awesome post dude, did you know sonic youth also have a song in this film, in the ending credits.
Old 08.24.2007, 03:20 AM   #3
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
holy shit, david cross as allen ginsberg? good call.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.25.2007, 12:16 AM   #4
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Should be good! Interesting concept
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2008, 08:45 PM   #5
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
I'm Not There is an interesting film from The Carpenters-Barbie dolls "Superstar"/quasi-sacked "Disappearer" director, but honestly it plays mostly like someone with considerable artistic ability who watched No Direction Home a bunch of times and came up with a "far out, dude" concept laden with referential and largely self-satisfied Dylanisms. Although, I do concede that it is a more engaging way to tell the story than the conventional biopic, especially considering the enigmatic persona(e) profiled. The low-budget aspect and filming in Montreal may have been instrumental in getting it made, but ultimately detracts from what it could have potentially been. The brief scene with The Beatles was laughably awful. So was the majority of Cross' screentime as Ginsberg. I suppose the blink-and-you'll-miss-it appearance by Kim came off okay.

As critical as all that may come off, I'm not entirely down on it though. It should be seen. And it's a pity it didn't earn more box office. I'm unsure why it's a "Blockbuster Exclusive" rental; maybe it's a Weinstein thing.
Well, at least Blanchett was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress. And it's great to see a filmmaker like Haynes make a personal picture in this day and age and aspire in this manner. There are moments of absolute poetic beauty and visual excitement. Moreover, the soundtrack is mostly excellent. I'll go 84/100 compared to rottentomatoes' 78%.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2008, 02:10 AM   #6
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
one of the worst movies that i have ever seen.
i always said that david cross looks like allen ginsberg, so its cool that he was cast as him.
the movie was completely pointless and incredibly boring. cate blanchette was great

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2008, 02:14 AM   #7
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I dug it.

Unfortunately David Cross is so different from Ginsberg's voice at all.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth