Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Do some good with the Net, loan money in Uganda using KIVA.org!!!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.27.2007, 04:32 PM   #1
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.kiva.org

What We Do

We let you loan to the working poor

Kiva lets you connect with and loan money to unique small businesses in the developing world. By choosing a business on Kiva.org, you can "sponsor a business" and help the world's working poor make great strides towards economic independence. Throughout the course of the loan (usually 6-12 months), you can receive email journal updates from the business you've sponsored. As loans are repaid, you get your loan money back.

We partner with organizations all over the world

Kiva partners with existing microfinance institutions. In doing so, we gain access to outstanding entrepreneurs from impoverished communities world-wide. Our partners are experts in choosing qualified borrowers. That said, they are usually short on funds. Through Kiva.org, our partners upload their borrower profiles directly to the site so you can lend to them.

We show you where your money goes

Kiva provides a data-rich, transparent lending platform for the poor. We are constantly working to make the system more transparent to show how money flows throughout the entire cycle. The below diagram shows briefly how money gets from you to a third-world borrower, and back!

We facilitate connections

Kiva is using the power of the internet to facilitate one-to-one connections that were previously prohibitively expensive. Child sponsorship has always been a high overhead business. Kiva creates a similar interpersonal connection at much lower costs due to the instant, inexpensive nature of internet delivery. The individuals featured on our website are real people who need a loan and are waiting for socially-minded individuals like you to lend them money.
Statistics
The following statistics are updated nightly and approved by Kiva.org for publication:
Total value of all loans made through Kiva.org:$17,986,735Number of Kiva Lenders:198574 Number of loans that have been funded through Kiva.org:27635Number of Kiva Field Partners (microfinance institutions Kiva.org partners with):77Number of countries Kiva Field Partners are located in:39Current repayment rate (all partners):99.79%Current default rate (all partners):0.21%Average size of loan for funding:$599.63Average total amount loaned per Kiva Lender (includes reloaned funds):$90.35Average number of loans per Kiva Lender:2.29

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2007, 04:39 PM   #2
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
think about the genius of this program. you can contribute as low as $25 to a person's small business loan. further, you can imagine the success of this program considering the repayment rate. If small businesses in Uganda, Nigeria or Cote d'Ivoire can repay $500 or $1100 loans when small businesses in America default on these things all the time, when this money in these countries is sometimes a staggering amount to generate as income, and yet it seems to be no problem as the default rate is so low. this is a truly optimistic program, and I can not wait to see the next African contribution that I can make. I know there are other services of this kind, does anybody else use or know of them to post the info/links?

Old 12.27.2007, 04:41 PM   #3
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

here is another equally fantastic program

http://www.heifer.org/site/c.edJRKQNiFiG/b.204586/

Founded in 1944, Heifer International is a humanitarian assistance organization that works to end world hunger and protect the earth. Through livestock, training and "passing on the gift," Heifer has helped seven million families in more than 125 countries improve their quality of life and move toward greater self-reliance. Heifer helps build strong communities because each project participant agrees to pass on the gift of animal offspring, training, or skills to another family in need.

Old 12.27.2007, 05:26 PM   #4
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
how does one go about collecting bad debt from those you lend to?

does this organization have goons to strong arm the farmer that doesn't pay back his "loan"?

I ask, because there's some dude in Jamaica that still owes me $1.00. I have his photograph on file if it would help in the investigation.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2007, 06:07 PM   #5
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
How do I know that my money isn't going towards AK-47s to fuel the conflict in Sudan-Darfur or to growing heroin?

Giving a loan to a 3rd world business I'd consider it a donation and not worry about them paying back. If they do pay it back, well that's good.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2007, 04:52 PM   #6
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
How do I know that my money isn't going towards AK-47s to fuel the conflict in Sudan-Darfur or to growing heroin?

Giving a loan to a 3rd world business I'd consider it a donation and not worry about them paying back. If they do pay it back, well that's good.

the point of them paying it back was that their business is sucessful, not that people should worry about getting their money back. the success rate speaks for itself in this regard. and how do you know its not going to conflict? well, from Kiva you actually can develop a personal relationship with the lendees... did you even check the site or just comment sarcastically and mash down a good thing?

Old 12.28.2007, 06:04 PM   #7
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
I wasn't being sarcastic so much as pessimistic and cynical. I've heard about people in different countries getting screwed out of donated US money by the local mafias and such.

It isn't that I'd be worried about getting repaid, I'm more worried about someone starting a fake business to get money to buy weapons with, the lendee getting robbed, et cetera.

Although simply buying products in the US causes harm to people too. There is an inherent risk in every action.

(I am a person that meditates way too much on risks and takes very few risks. It is a personality fault of mine that I have to figure out how to get over. If I took more risks I'd probably have a much more interesting life.)
Old 12.28.2007, 06:28 PM   #8
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I already handed over all my bank accounts to a Nigerian princess whose uncle was being held as a political prisoner. Although she promised me that in return for my goodwill I would share in a percentage of her uncle's millions, I am still waiting for my reward. I'm keeping the faith, but until then, I have no money to invest.

Perhaps if you could give me your personal account informaiton along with your passwords and other personal identification, I could wire funds to your account?
Old 12.28.2007, 06:45 PM   #9
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
I already handed over all my bank accounts to a Nigerian princess whose uncle was being held as a political prisoner. Although she promised me that in return for my goodwill I would share in a percentage of her uncle's millions, I am still waiting for my reward. I'm keeping the faith, but until then, I have no money to invest.

Perhaps if you could give me your personal account informaiton along with your passwords and other personal identification, I could wire funds to your account?

Now that is sarcasm.
Old 12.28.2007, 07:12 PM   #10
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not knocking this SFAD, but what's your motive here? I mean, what got you on to helping Uganda out of all of the other countries that also need help? Did you just netflix Last King Of Scotland or something?
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2007, 11:34 PM   #11
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterthefact
I'm not knocking this SFAD, but what's your motive here? I mean, what got you on to helping Uganda out of all of the other countries that also need help? Did you just netflix Last King Of Scotland or something?

I appreciate your being an asshole and all, but Uganda was just the country that I had seen in a news report which introduced this website to begin with. actually, there were no requests presently in Uganda, that was just the country that was in my head at the time. since you only bothered to respond with criticism, wouldn't it have been better to leave it be rather then assault my sincerity with sarcasm? your threads are so much more interesting and helpful then this one anyways..
Facts
afterthefact
08.26.2007 06:27 AM
by afterthefact

15126Non-Sonic Sounds

How do I get cat pee out?!?!?
afterthefact

Old 12.28.2007, 11:46 PM   #12
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Well, that was unwarranted Yeah, unfortunately the internet doesn't allow you to tell the difference between sarcasm and just simply asking a question, the latter of which I was doing. But thanks for the hostility. And I can't help but wonder why you felt so threatened by my simple question that you take the time to go through all of my started threads to see which one seemed the stupidest. Well, you got me. I needed to know how to get cat pee out of the carpet once. I'm such a fool.
Old 12.29.2007, 12:13 AM   #13
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Well, that was unwarranted Yeah, unfortunately the internet doesn't allow you to tell the difference between sarcasm and just simply asking a question, the latter of which I was doing. But thanks for the hostility. And I can't help but wonder why you felt so threatened by my simple question that you take the time to go through all of my started threads to see which one seemed the stupidest. Well, you got me. I needed to know how to get cat pee out of the carpet once. I'm such a fool.
\

yekerta (excuse me)

call it a mutual misunderstanding.

enjoy this track in the mean time
http://www.ethiopianorthodox.org/chu...1abatachin.MP3

Old 12.29.2007, 10:30 AM   #14
afterthefact
invito al cielo

It happens more often than not on here, so no hard feelings. Awesome track too.
Old 12.29.2007, 05:00 PM   #15
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
It happens more often than not on here, so no hard feelings. Awesome track too.

i'm glad you enjoyed it. here is another one by my priest.

http://www.ethiopianorthodox.org/chu...hi%20Yehun.wma

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth