Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page And the suicides have begun
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.15.2008, 08:07 AM   #21
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
haha...its cool man. i figured it was some sort of error on yr end.

i wouldnt hire you to be my financial advisor though...unless of course...you had yr calculator.
jk

I'm not a financial analyst. That, along with my entire post, was a joke.
Old 10.15.2008, 09:55 AM   #22
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
this is a serious question, because again I have no real experience living in another country, let alone the US.

my house cost about 80% of our combined yearly income.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2008, 12:19 PM   #23
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I can see how someone might think of money as the only answer, and feel disappointed, even wildly depressed.

My point was more that I believe people either have the mind set to do something like this, or they don't. For a lot of people who lose everything, life becomes incredibly sad and unbearable. It doesn't mean they all are driven to violence. Those with the mental potential to commit a violent crime that is unprovoked, are not average people. I really believe people have a predisposition toward committing violent crime, some more than others.

In a court case I can see how the person's troubles might be used as defence, because it can influence their behaviour, but at the end of the day I don't think the decision to shoot your entire family is a normal one, no matter what happens to you. Pleading mental illness would get you a lot further than 'I had no money left'

I can see that for sure. I mean, when it comes down to it, either you can be pushed over the border of killing your family or you can't, bottom line.

But of course, that is a hard thing to gauge. Because as long people are killing their families, we can always say about that person that they were in some way mentally predisposed to this sort of action. If somebody that we are certain would never do this, does, then we would just have to say we were wrong and that actually they were always able to be pushed that far.

So I'm sure you are right. I'm sure there are people who would never do this. I'd like to think I'm one of them. But unfortunately this system doesn't provide us a way to find these people before they do these horrible thing.

NOTE: I KNOW this was not your point and I went way too far with it. I was just having what they call a "stream of consciousness." Dig?
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2008, 01:18 AM   #24
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
my house cost about 80% of our combined yearly income.

are you kidding? thats nothing?! or am I not understanding..

if you made 50k in the year, your house would have cost 40k???

is this because no one wants to live in OK??!

or you do mean 800% so 8 times?
Old 10.16.2008, 01:41 AM   #25
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
are you kidding? thats nothing?! or am I not understanding..

if you made 50k in the year, your house would have cost 40k???

is this because no one wants to live in OK??!

most likely yes

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2008, 02:18 AM   #26
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
it differs in different areas. im not sure what the national average household income is. id guess around 45-50 grand (which, some people think thats absurd. they forget how many people out there really make only 20 something grand a year, as well as all those with no jobs at all). here, i think its actually 30 grand. yr average house, is gonna be right around 120 grand, and of course they do get much more expensive than that (thats a solid middle class 2 bed room/2 bath home in an "decent" neighborhood). its a historical city, so if ya live in the historical district it get REALLLLLLY expensive < but most of the people living in these homes seem to be doing ok. financial problems tend to affect people that make 30-50 grand a year (usually a family, where theres a couple kids, hubby/wife etc). lots of these sort of people are the ones that work themselves into SERIOUS debt trying to look like the folks that make, say 120 grand a year (which is pretty easy to do here in the US. its EASY for middle class folks to appear as if they are doing alot better financially than what they actually are). but then again, ya got folks that make 120 grand a year that attempt living the lifestyles of those that make 300 thousand a year, and so on and so on. people are seemingly getting a bit wiser lately. i mean, i understand someone that makes 50 grand a year isnt going to settle on a shack that costs 30 thousand dollars, so the 120 thousand dollar home is fine...but its what are INSIDE some of these homes that suprises me sometimes. as well as the cars they drive.

we live in a society where debt is encouraged. personally, i make what the average single person in this area makes, but im only about 5 thousand dollars in debt which drives me crazy. ive got a rule that ill never owe more than 1/3 of what i make in a year, some people say im losing out in the long run, paying for apartments as opposed to buying a house which i can eventually pay off. fuck that though...i move around way to much. lotsa people that were telling me that a few years ago now sorta understand where im coming from (being that they cant sale there houses. my granny has a NICE two story house, huge back yard, swimming pool/etc/etc. the so called "amercan dream home"...its been up for sale for 6 years. she wants to move, but cant. < house isnt payed off) < i just, dont ever want to find myself in this sorta situation. i believe if people learned to live within their means people would, as a whole, be much happier. debt doesnt excite anyone but almost everyone seems to accumalate alot of it. people are so fucking stupid sometimes theyll take out loans for thousands of dollars for VACATION. its total cheese. yep, i know people that do shit like that. i grew up in a household that did shit like that.

It seems pretty similar here, but not to the same extent with buying what your neighbour has.

The main reason I want to buy a house, is that here its pretty much turning into people who own 'houses' and people who rent a house. And I'd rather be one of the former. We're planning on buying our first apartment next month, which will be a rental for most of next year, then buying our second in about 2 years time.
Old 10.19.2008, 12:21 AM   #27
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
I've heard from several (not credible or incredible) sources that by the time I need to get a loan for college, or at least have my interest rate set, my interest rate will be low (2%) due to the economic crisis.

Thoughts?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth