Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Art or Arse? You be the judge.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.05.2006, 03:21 PM   #61
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Susan Hiller. At least, I am.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.05.2006, 03:33 PM   #62
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Oh,allright then.I'm not familiar with her work so i can't say.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.05.2006, 03:46 PM   #63
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.susanhiller.org/

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2007, 07:07 AM   #64
sarramkrop

Bump! Just for you Brian.

hmmmm.... kiss kiss
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2007, 07:37 AM   #65
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
I wonder what Mr Sewell would make of this board? "Ugh, a bunch of pseudo-intelligent riff-raff pontificating about the issues of the day. How truly unpleasant."
Old 06.15.2007, 09:28 AM   #66
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
i virtually like nothing that tracy emin has done.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2007, 09:34 AM   #67
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
shock art has been done to death and art movements are only relevent when they have something original and worthwhile to say

fuck this shit
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2007, 02:11 PM   #68
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
shock art has been done to death and art movements are only relevent when they have something original and worthwhile to say

fuck this shit

I disagree. Fluxus, Dada and the Aktionists all spring to mind. All, in part, sprang out of a desire to resist the (then-contemporary) stoicism (in the pejorative sense) or austerity of the art-generations prior. An incredibly blithe statement, but even so, regardless of the worth of the art movements, it's the quality of the work that's important. Dada or surrealism are interesting to me because of the latent violence, the implicit reactionary/ counter-reactionary element, but I don't necessarily think they have particularly 'worthwhile' things to say. Or, better, art exists in a continuum; there is no purely 'original' art.

If it makes you feel comfortable the last word of this post will be cock.

Cock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2007, 02:23 PM   #69
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, I understand the continuum of art so I'll give you that. But I find those movements to have been worthwhile by bringing something to the table via their philosophy; dada's embracing of the irrational in the face of the soulless war machine, surrealism's embracing of dream imagery, fluxus' breaking down of media boundaries. Those are all worthwhile to me. This stuff is just contrary as far as my untrained eye can see.

And to counter your cock; vagina.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2007, 02:31 PM   #70
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
See, there have been a handful of Stuckist things that are alright. I can't remember any of them, but someone showed me a picture once. I quite like a fair few YBAs. I quite like a few people who aren't YBAs. The point isn't so much that vacuousness is good, it's that no particular ideology (or a no-ideology) is good in and of itself, it's what a personartist does within certain frameworks (or lack of frameworks). I'm starting to sound like fucking Heidegger now so I'm going to stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2007, 02:33 PM   #71
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I'm just going to pop in and say that Sol LeWitt, Jenny Holzer and Frank Stella can all eat a giant bag of dicks. Or they can each eat an individual bag of dicks if they don't want to split one.
This has nothing to do with anything.
Umm, cock.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2007, 06:15 PM   #72
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
My opinion = Tracey Emin - some stuff=alright.
Hirst = cunt. Stuff=mostly shite.

Stuckists = yes, painting is good but don't bloody go on about it. Plus, they are comically reactionary ie "you're not an artist if you can't paint". They're obviously looking for a reaction.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2007, 06:33 PM   #73
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
any real artist has better things to do than to argue what is and what is not for the sake of it.

their art exists, simply. it just is.
phoenix is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2007, 10:47 AM   #74
Walter Gropius
empty page

Walter Gropius is a splendid one to beholdWalter Gropius is a splendid one to beholdWalter Gropius is a splendid one to beholdWalter Gropius is a splendid one to beholdWalter Gropius is a splendid one to beholdWalter Gropius is a splendid one to beholdWalter Gropius is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
any real artist has better things to do than to argue what is and what is not for the sake of it.

their art exists, simply. it just is.
I agree.
I also think people tend to spend far too much time talking about "bad" art that they hate, instead of talking about the artists and art that they do actually enjoy. The bad* art receives ridiculous amounts of press, and the good is ignored.

Quote:

I'm just going to pop in and say that Sol LeWitt, Jenny Holzer and Frank Stella can all eat a giant bag of dicks. Or they can each eat an individual bag of dicks if they don't want to split one.
This has nothing to do with anything.
Umm, cock.

Explain yourself sir or im going to come to your house and project a bag of dicks onto your wall. va-jay-jay.

----------------
*It's Not Bad Art, It's Just My Brain Hurts

Walter Gropius is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2007, 01:18 PM   #75
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
OK, I will use this opportunity to use Holzer's super-limp "concept" against her.

This is art, now. Remember that.

Conceptual artists whose tiresome medium of choice is the cryptic sentence need to go away.

I'm sorry. It is not "confrontational," "challenging" or "thought-provoking." It is dumb. And incredibly regurgitative.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2007, 06:38 PM   #76
Walter Gropius
empty page

Walter Gropius is a splendid one to beholdWalter Gropius is a splendid one to beholdWalter Gropius is a splendid one to beholdWalter Gropius is a splendid one to beholdWalter Gropius is a splendid one to beholdWalter Gropius is a splendid one to beholdWalter Gropius is a splendid one to behold

Walter Gropius is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2007, 02:34 AM   #77
something
bad moon rising

something kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's asses
go see some dieter roth hes dead now but he was pretty hardcore for his day and age

http://www.myspace.com/usedtoaster
something is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth