Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page haha now I don't have a radio show...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.16.2007, 09:43 AM   #21
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by against_the_grain
Nice that you at least get another opportunity for a show though. I'd like to get the link too and listen in !

Will you play the gamut in your playlisting ? from 20s and 30s blues to today's SY noise ?

Do you play randomly gmku or do you devise a somewhat cohesive 'show' each 2 hour timeslot ?

I've always wanted to DJ. Not so much for blabbing..but just to play music and info to got along with it. I fantasize about it .

I go for loose cohesiveness. I'll sometimes think/plan around a vague theme and then watch it fall apart as I'm on the air and decide I'm bored with the theme.

And yes, inclusive... whatever happens to strike my fancy. Usually it's a lot of what I'm personally listening to at the time.
Old 05.16.2007, 09:45 AM   #22
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
At least that was true for the pirate station shows. I haven't gone through orientation at the new station yet, so I'm not sure what the rules are about playlists. I'm pretty sure we'll be asked to consider listener requests--another big difference from the pirate show, which had no phone line for listener call-ins. It was always like putting a show on in a vaccuum.
Old 05.16.2007, 09:46 AM   #23
against_the_grain
stalker

against_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard sucka
I just clicked your 'My radio show' link, Dead-Air...saw your page and clicked on the autopilot high bandwidth dealy and got no sound. Is this the streaming link and it's just no on-air now ?

I saw your list too..at least the 5-12 one..I'll check the other's...Cool !

oh and gmku...

That's how I'd play too....have an 'idea' of stuff to play, but then allow for total spontaneity. And listener requests could be cool, it might remind you of something not on your mind at the time and you'd go...YEAH ! That sounds good !

Do you ham it up ? LOL

Do not fear mistakes. There are none

Miles Davis
against_the_grain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2007, 01:40 PM   #24
gmku
invito al cielo

Quote:
I just clicked your 'My radio show' link, Dead-Air...saw your page and clicked on the autopilot high bandwidth dealy and got no sound. Is this the streaming link and it's just no on-air now ?

oh and gmku...

That's how I'd play too....have an 'idea' of stuff to play, but then allow for total spontaneity. And listener requests could be cool, it might remind you of something not on your mind at the time and you'd go...YEAH ! That sounds good !

Do you ham it up ? LOL

No, I'm not much of a ham by nature. If anything, I'm too quiet on the airwaves. My last radio boss kept telling me to speak up.
Old 05.16.2007, 01:41 PM   #25
gmku
invito al cielo

And yeah, listener requests might also be a good way to discover new stuff.
Old 05.16.2007, 03:07 PM   #26
HairwayToSteven
children of satan

HairwayToSteven kicks all y'all's assesHairwayToSteven kicks all y'all's assesHairwayToSteven kicks all y'all's assesHairwayToSteven kicks all y'all's assesHairwayToSteven kicks all y'all's assesHairwayToSteven kicks all y'all's assesHairwayToSteven kicks all y'all's assesHairwayToSteven kicks all y'all's assesHairwayToSteven kicks all y'all's assesHairwayToSteven kicks all y'all's assesHairwayToSteven kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
Yes. All the shows on this station are streamed. I'll keep you posted when I start up.

This will be nice because the station is legit, and nicely funded (by the U), so I'll have those perks like the streaming and a large in-studio CD collection (won't have to drag my collection in necessarily), and up-to-date digital technology and so on.

Excellent. Thanks!
HairwayToSteven is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2007, 08:06 PM   #27
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

oh and gmku...

Do you ham it up ? LOL

Hmm. It worked right away when I tried it. It can occasionally go down like anything on the net, but we streamcast 24/7. When there's not a real dj on, there's an automix filling in (which obviously isn't as good, and is completely random.)

You can download my old shows as MP3 or listen to streams of individual shows HERE. I've noticed a few fo the MP3s have turned up on LAST-FM, which is cool.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2007, 09:52 AM   #28
gmku
invito al cielo

I'm going from freeform at the pirate station to regimentation at the college station. I-emailed the program director about the format and this is how I'm supposed to run the rotation during my show: new, not so new, old, option (my Cd or LP or other), then back to new, not so new, old, option..., ad nauseum. In between, requests from listeners take priority. Everything should be from the station's inventory, except my options. The show also has to "promote alternative music (no Metallica)." His words. This might not be as much fun as I thought. I put up with enough rules and regulations at work.
Old 05.22.2007, 10:23 AM   #29
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
I'm going from freeform at the pirate station to regimentation at the college station. I-emailed the program director about the format and this is how I'm supposed to run the rotation during my show: new, not so new, old, option (my Cd or LP or other), then back to new, not so new, old, option..., ad nauseum. In between, requests from listeners take priority. Everything should be from the station's inventory, except my options. The show also has to "promote alternative music (no Metallica)." His words. This might not be as much fun as I thought. I put up with enough rules and regulations at work.

fucking college brats!!

well you can run circles around him. what's he gonna do. fire you?

besides, what if the listener request mariah? (the singer, not the song).

what a bunch of shittyfucks.

in any case-- best wishes sticking it to the man! even if "the man" just moved out of his parents' house...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2007, 11:42 AM   #30
gmku
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
fucking college brats!!

well you can run circles around him. what's he gonna do. fire you?

besides, what if the listener request mariah? (the singer, not the song).

what a bunch of shittyfucks.

in any case-- best wishes sticking it to the man! even if "the man" just moved out of his parents' house...

yeah, I figure (or at least hope) he won't be around on my shift. Anyway, I have a really odd time--10 to mid, Sunday. !! Who the freak's gonna even be listening? I'll see how the first night goes, but I intend to blaze my own path.
Old 05.22.2007, 11:43 AM   #31
gmku
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

Ha! Yeah, I can always play the respect-your-elders card...
Old 05.22.2007, 12:04 PM   #32
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
a few semesters ago, i had a morning drive shift (6am-9am) and it got ganked midway through the semester, because a power shift occurs every few years and all the cooler people get booted out and replaced with more conservative folks. out goes the good music, in goes the 311, dave matthews band, primus, and garden state soundtrack.

i've been back at the station for about 1.5 years and now i'm station manager of life.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth