Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Obsessions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.15.2007, 07:22 PM   #1
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
Had any? Have any?

I don't mean fads or enthusiastic interests; I mean genuine fixations. Compulsions. These things occupied your consciousness, obliterated all other considerations, mentally consumed you.

I personally have an obsessive personality by nature (I don't mean a psychosis; I just have a tendency to fixate, both physically and mentally). But on rare occasions, things got out of hand.

A few, off the top of my head:

- In junior high, the Beatles (I'm not sure why; I'm a fan, but far from worship them), more specifically John Lennon. I think it was mostly a shallow aesthetic thing. Odd melancholy post-mortem crush. A friend and I actually held seances to conjure up his spirit. A shameful blight on my past.

- Louis the vampire in "Interview With the Vampire." Not Brad Pitt, mind you, but his character. Strange erotic pity thing. I went through a period where I rode my bike up to the video store and rented it 12 times in a row, before it was available for purchase.

- John Malkovich. All things John Malkovich. Small remnant of this remains.

- Douglas Coupland, specifically Microserfs. Read it repeatedly for months.

- Doritos. Really. Comprised my entire food intake for weeks at a time. Ended up extremely ill.

Go on, indulge me.
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2007, 07:24 PM   #2
timtimtim
children of satan

timtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud of
Woody Allen - I own 27 of his films and anxiously await the release of his new films.
Sonic Youth - but aren't most of us on here?
Pooh - I was obsessed with the hundred acre woods when I was younger and it still lingers.
timtimtim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2007, 07:25 PM   #3
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Sometimes I get obsessed with people. Just regular people. After a week or so it subsides but when I do it its all I can think about.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2007, 07:26 PM   #4
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
For a time in the late 80s and early 90s, my fandom activities surrounding the Legendary Pink Dots definitely qualified as obsessive.
Same with Psychic TV, Throbbing Gristle and all things Genesis P-Orridge at that same time.

HP Lovecraft for sure.

JennTheBenn better make one specific contribution to this thread.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2007, 07:39 PM   #5
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
The Legendary Pink Dots obsession is justified in my opinion.

I suppose I am slightly obsessed with Stephen King.

And I can understand the Pooh obsession; I was fixated on The Neverending Story when I was younger, and used to literally cry in mourning that I could not have my own Falcor.
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2007, 07:45 PM   #6
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
The LPD thing went way beyond healthy.
I used to entertain the notion that Edward Ka-Spel was possibly some kind of conduit for voices or entities from other dimensions, in addition to having a vivid imagination and an unnatural gift for words. I don't think that anymore, though I do still think he is one of the greatest lyricists the world has ever seen, and definitely a bona fide genius.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2007, 07:54 PM   #7
EMMAh
invito al cielo

EMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's asses
Obsessions of the past:
Kurt Cobain and Nirvana
Zoodles and cheese

Current Obsessions:
Roasted almonds
Flavored Water
Scott Sturgeon (Stza) from Leftover Crack (I dreamed about him last night haha), Leftover Crack, Choking Victim
Tea

EMMAh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2007, 07:56 PM   #8
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
For a time in the late 80s and early 90s, my fandom activities surrounding the Legendary Pink Dots definitely qualified as obsessive.
Same with Psychic TV, Throbbing Gristle and all things Genesis P-Orridge at that same time.

HP Lovecraft for sure.

JennTheBenn better make one specific contribution to this thread.

wow, really?

i mean, i like to have a pretty obsession-free life. i wake up every morning
to the buzz of my snoopy alarm clock, throw off my snoopy blanket, take
a shower and put on some clothes, usually a snoopy shirt. then i check
out the comics page in the newspaper. then i go to work. the sheriff's
deputy who works the front door calls me "snoopy" for some reason.

i come home, i unwind by playing snoopy vs the red baron on ps2 and
putting in a peanuts dvd. i fire up the computer, with my snoopy desktop
pic...check snoopy out on ebay and amazon and flickr and youtube...then
if i feel like cracking open a book, i'll pick one of the complete peanuts
collections to chill out with. then when it's time to sleep i get into some
snoopy christmas pajamas and out like a light.

although i think i'm getting better. my current desktop pic is a live shot
of kim gordon onstage from last year. she's holding her ol' reliable bass.
you know...the one with the snoopy sticker on it.

i have sooo many shirts and figurines and books and stuffed snoopys it
borders on frightening. i have the peanuts and snoopy monopoly games.
posters. greetings cards. i have snoopy panties. snoopy handbags.
complete collection of the mcdonalds camp snoopy glasses from the 70s.
in fact i once spent over 200 dollars at the camp snoopy in pennsylvania.

okay, okay...i would also sell my own blood and hair to get THIS:

http://cgi.ebay.com/iPOD-NANO-2GB-SNOOPY-BOX-Japan-only-available-1000ltd_W0QQitemZ180083151469QQihZ008QQcategoryZ11 8265QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Old 02.15.2007, 08:05 PM   #9
against_the_grain
stalker

against_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard sucka
I used to be obsessed with snow skiing and surfing.

Now I think about my girlfriend ALL the time ! I really do, she's wonderful !

I used to be obsessed with all things Marijuana. Smoking it, growing it, smuggling it, photo'ing and writing about it. Now I just rest on my laurels.

I'm still incredibly obsessed with my music and obtaining selective bootlegs and legit releases. After slacking thru the nineties regarding SY, I bought 80% of their catalog last summer !! Their my absolute favorite contemporary band !

Do not fear mistakes. There are none

Miles Davis
against_the_grain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2007, 08:09 PM   #10
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
I gotta agree with Tim, I went through a period where I was obsessed with Woody Allen. I also had a huge obsession with Buckethead for a while, which lead into a huge obsession with all things Bill Laswell. Now almost all of it is boring to me. Not the Woody Allen mind you, you never go wrong with that.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2007, 08:21 PM   #11
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
I think ive shyed away from obsession. But i was mad on Radiohead when i was about 14. I even bought 2 cds with rare songs and acoustic performances on at £15 a pop. and this is in about 1999, our house had no computer.
I was big on SY for a while. And Ikara Colt. And Idlewild. And tottenham Hotspur FC. But i think my biggest obsessions have been things i myself have been doing, which is probably best.

Edit: Fucking hell. Im still well big on Tottenham! Even if we are playing like a bunch of Shoolkids at the minute
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2007, 08:24 PM   #12
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
HP Lovecraft for sure.

Thats a big Mark E Smith thing, or so ive read
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2007, 08:27 PM   #13
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Barney. Then it was Power Rangers. Then it was wrestling/pokemon. Now it's music/video games
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2007, 08:47 PM   #14
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
I've got a few obessions.

This forum comes to mind...

Finding Nobody: I'm about to pop in your Mix Tape. You do know I got yours, correct?

Oh, excellent JLH song choice, by the way...
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2007, 08:53 PM   #15
Prisstina
the end of the ugly

Prisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's asses
Shoes. I have at least 65 pairs. Mostly shoes I can only wear in warm weather. I live in Wisconsin. Its February.

Prisstina is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2007, 11:04 PM   #16
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2007, 11:34 PM   #17
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
-Cherry Coke
-Bill Murray
-Italy
-Guitars and everything about them
-The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (since I was like 5, the first time I read it)
-Green chuck taylors
-Monty Python
-Speilberg WWII stuff. (Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List, Band of Brothers)
-Bread, off all types
-Olive Oil
-Flags
-Pilot Precise V5 pens (the ONLY kind I use)
Old 02.16.2007, 12:04 AM   #18
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
-Dr. Dre
-Sonic Youth
-Friends (I'm often overly emotional and caring about them)
-Web Scipting
-Shwarmas

Tonnes more that I'm interested in, just not obsessed.
Old 02.16.2007, 12:08 AM   #19
timtimtim
children of satan

timtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud of
I definately had forgotten about my Nirvana obsession from the time I was 10- 14ish. On the good side that's how I got into Sonic Youth, Mudhoney, and the Pixies.
timtimtim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2007, 04:30 AM   #20
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
toast & sandwiches.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth