Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Scale of the American Land Mass
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.28.2007, 03:41 PM   #1
macrodollar
little trouble girl

macrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard sucka
A post of curiosity here. How long would it take roughly to drive from New York to say, Chicago and L.A.?

3-5 days coast to coast?

The idea is unfathomable to someone like me who is frustrated by the idea of travelling for 5 hours to get from Wales to the east of England.
macrodollar is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2007, 04:14 PM   #2
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
That's probably the best estimation, 5 days.. give yourself a week if you suck with maps and drive 55.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2007, 06:17 PM   #3
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah but american road drips are classic and iconic. Just think driving across the country listening to a stack of great albums, stopping off in desert towns and making out with the girls. Hell you don't get that driving from Exeter to Cardiff...
Old 05.28.2007, 06:19 PM   #4
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washing Machine
Yeah but american road drips are classic and iconic. Just think driving across the country listening to a stack of great albums, stopping off in desert towns and making out with the girls. Hell you don't get that driving from Exeter to Cardiff...

Been there, done that.

Kinda.

Danny doesn't get the ladies. :[
Old 05.28.2007, 06:23 PM   #5
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
Where did you drive?
Old 05.28.2007, 06:24 PM   #6
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

I wasn't driving, but I had the front passenger seat.

Colorado > Wyoming > South Dakota and then back, cutting through Nebraska a little. As you can imagine, the albums were mostly country or classic driving rock.
Old 05.28.2007, 06:34 PM   #7
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Cool. I always imagined EVOL, Daydream Nation, Spiderland being great driving across America albums. If I drove to Death Valley naturally I would have to play Bad Moon Rising or The Mars Volta's Frances the Mute deep in texas. Some Jefferson Airplane and The Doors would be cool too.
Old 05.28.2007, 06:36 PM   #8
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

I mostly had Creedence Clearwater Revival on, or one of Beck's old country albums.
Old 05.28.2007, 07:32 PM   #9
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses
Sweet Home Alabama !!!

HECKLER SPRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2007, 11:39 PM   #10
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
the size and scale of this country is truly unimaginable.

for example:

The approximate distance as the crow flies from MADRID to ST PETERSBURG is 1981.59 miles.

Distance between Sheepshead Bay, New York, United States and Pasadena, California, United States, as the crow flies:2446 miles

and the United States, like any country the size of a continent, has a shit load of shit to stop and see. I have been a lot of places here, the land is fantastic, its the people that I am not so crazy about.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2007, 11:41 PM   #11
youthoftomorrow
expwy. to yr skull

youthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's asses
i lived in the middle of the whole continent, Kansas, and it took three days to drive to either coast.
Old 05.28.2007, 11:56 PM   #12
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
I would say 7 days, or more, but I have not really traveled. Only To Las Vegas, and that is eight hours.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2007, 12:29 AM   #13
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i drove from ny to new mexico in 3 days, from new mexico to hellay in a day. throw in an extra day for a chicago detour. but you dont want to do it like that. 5 days--- what's the point? you'll just end up with a backache. take a couple of weeks to drive easy down a local highway. stop in the small towns. eat at a diner. go to a bar. sleep in a cheap motel. have pancakes for breakfast. you know, enjoy.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2007, 12:34 AM   #14
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
When I graduate from College I am taking a Coast to Coast Road Trip.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2007, 06:41 AM   #15
against_the_grain
stalker

against_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard sucka
For sure 4 or 5 days to cross the country if you bee line it...stay awake for 24 hours and you can make it 3.

I've driven thru the whole country except for Wyoming, Montana and the Dakotas....

Some of the driving has lost it's charm because of the volume of traffic, especially the large trucks.

But my favorite drives have been along the Pacific Coast Hwy. from S. California all the way up to Washington State. Unbelievable !! And then the interior of New England, down the Appalachian's (Blue Ridge Pkwy in the South) and the Rocky Mountains.

It'd take 2 months to realize most of the country in a cruize, taking time to absorb and stopping to smell the roses. I grow weary of the urban drives, and the landscapes of the midwest are so droll, you just want to start seeing some mountains after Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Iowa and the like.

Gas is still cheaper than in Europe, but it's reportedly gonna hit $4.00 this summer ! Makes for an expensive roadtrip. No more 99 cent gallons of gas....

Me and my buddy Rob, on top of the Blue Ridge, Va.

and contrasting with the Plains of eastern Colorado...

Do not fear mistakes. There are none

Miles Davis
against_the_grain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2007, 07:41 AM   #16
macrodollar
little trouble girl

macrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washing Machine
Yeah but american road drips are classic and iconic. Just think driving across the country listening to a stack of great albums, stopping off in desert towns and making out with the girls. Hell you don't get that driving from Exeter to Cardiff....

You have no idea of scale or distance outside of Ty Mawr do you?
Like I said, Exeter is 2 hours, and is in the South WEST. I'm talking about going Norfolk man, do you even know where that is? I was in stitches when I saw you shock of how it would take an hour to get to Bath.

Of course though, you are right about the nature of driving in the 2 places. In the states its an experience whereas it's a chore here, with the most congested roads on the planet and people generally being too close together.
Old 05.29.2007, 08:23 AM   #17
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodollar
A post of curiosity here. How long would it take roughly to drive from New York to say, Chicago and L.A.?

3-5 days coast to coast?

The idea is unfathomable to someone like me who is frustrated by the idea of travelling for 5 hours to get from Wales to the east of England.

Well, if you insist on going to Cleethorpes for your Holidays when the Gower is a stones throw away then that's the price you pay.

Out of interest, why the hell would you want to go to the east of england. No offence to anyone that lives there, I just find the whole flatness of that area depressing...the Fens? Pah.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2007, 08:54 AM   #18
macrodollar
little trouble girl

Lol. I'm not actually planning a trip to America, holidays are not something I do that often. I do want to go to the Gower at some point though. I don't know about the east as a whole but I found Norwich to be a lovely place when I went there, was just using the east-west contrast.
Old 05.29.2007, 10:22 AM   #19
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodollar
You have no idea of scale or distance outside of Ty Mawr do you?
Like I said, Exeter is 2 hours, and is in the South WEST. I'm talking about going Norfolk man, do you even know where that is? I was in stitches when I saw you shock of how it would take an hour to get to Bath.

Of course though, you are right about the nature of driving in the 2 places. In the states its an experience whereas it's a chore here, with the most congested roads on the planet and people generally being too close together.

LOL I'm fully aware of distance. I've been across the majority of southern, west and middle england at various points. My remark was clearly Hypobolic.
Exeter took longer than I thought. It seemed longer journey than I when I went to London.
Old 05.29.2007, 11:41 AM   #20
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I'm always shocked to remember the drive from where I live (san francisco) to where I was raised (southern california) is roughly the same length as cross the whole of England. Not all that long.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth