Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page top 5 films of 07
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.29.2008, 10:56 AM   #1
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
The last three months of 07 saw a slew of great movies come out in America to make up for the horrid first three months of awful films. a little late i know but oscars (as lame as they are) are still coming up, so:

1. There Will be Blood
2. Eastern Promises
3. The Assasination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
4. No Country For Old Men
5. for way tie:Knocked Up, Superbad, Juno (i hate the music references, but its so smart and quirky and well acted i had to let them slide), and The Dejareeling Limited.

I couldnt help but notice that the best films this year were ultra masculine bloody violent ones, like my top 4, or quirky/gross adolescene comedies. That has to say something about the times we live in, no?
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2008, 11:07 AM   #2
Happy Birthday
little trouble girl

Happy Birthday kicks all y'all's assesHappy Birthday kicks all y'all's assesHappy Birthday kicks all y'all's assesHappy Birthday kicks all y'all's assesHappy Birthday kicks all y'all's assesHappy Birthday kicks all y'all's assesHappy Birthday kicks all y'all's assesHappy Birthday kicks all y'all's assesHappy Birthday kicks all y'all's assesHappy Birthday kicks all y'all's assesHappy Birthday kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by :
batreleaser, on 23 Jan 2008, in the thread "What are some of your favorite movies from 2007?"

1. there will be blood
2. eastern promises/no country for old men
3. the assasination of jesse james by the coward robert ford
4. the dejareeling limited
5. knocked up/superbad
6. american gangster
7. sunshine (everyone slept on this)

of the ones i saw i liked those the best, fuck juno. the girl was great but the movie was trying way to hard to be quirky and weird and cool. stop trying to be rushmore.

Make yr mind up.
Happy Birthday is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2008, 11:25 AM   #3
5Against1
bad moon rising

5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses
Resident Evil: Extinction, sure it sucked, but Milla Jovovich was in it so I watched it...twice.
Old 01.29.2008, 11:32 AM   #4
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Why did you hate the musical references in Juno?
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2008, 11:39 AM   #5
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
because they were just trying so hard to be cool. o melvins, so rad, o sonic youth, were so cool, raw power my fave alblum, everyone should like me. sure i love those bands, but nothing about these references seemed authentic, just a cheap ploy to get fans out of the underground music fans and im not buying that bullshit.
Old 01.29.2008, 11:42 AM   #6
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
because they were just trying so hard to be cool. o melvins, so rad, o sonic youth, were so cool, raw power my fave alblum, everyone should like me. sure i love those bands, but nothing about these references seemed authentic, just a cheap ploy to get fans out of the underground music fans and im not buying that bullshit.

I think you are looking too deep into it. He was a musician and that is where they primarily connected. What music would you rather they have referenced? What music could they mention without either being pretentious or shallow, in your opinion?
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2008, 12:03 PM   #7
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

i don't think that's what they were going for...

please log off of the internet and never return.
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2008, 12:10 PM   #8
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
The last three months of 07 saw a slew of great movies come out in America to make up for the horrid first three months of awful films. a little late i know but oscars (as lame as they are) are still coming up, so:

1. There Will be Blood
2. Eastern Promises
3. The Assasination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
4. No Country For Old Men
5. for way tie:Knocked Up, Superbad, Juno (i hate the music references, but its so smart and quirky and well acted i had to let them slide), and The Dejareeling Limited.

I couldnt help but notice that the best films this year were ultra masculine bloody violent ones, like my top 4, or quirky/gross adolescene comedies. That has to say something about the times we live in, no?

I thought Darjeeling Limited was better than Juno and Juno was better than Superbad and Superbad was better than Knocked Up.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2008, 04:18 PM   #9
batreleaser
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Birthday
Make yr mind up.

minds chance after more reads/views/listens, etc...
Old 01.29.2008, 04:22 PM   #10
batreleaser
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptowonderdruginvogue
i don't think that's what they were going for...

please log off of the internet and never return.

if they werent going for a cool factor, what could they have possibly been going for? the movie is entertaining, but jason bateman as a rocking perverted middle aged dude who of all the amazing sonic youth songs chose "superstar" as his favorite, just competley non-believable. just the fact they chose a song like that from a band like the youth proves they know nothing about that band or underground music, but used it as a ploy to grab attention hip to good music. if you see otherwise thats your opinion but thats no reason to get all uptight and tell me to, "log off and never return". god forbid we share opinions on a fucking message board.
Old 01.29.2008, 04:23 PM   #11
batreleaser
invito al cielo

*of people hip to good music
Old 01.29.2008, 04:25 PM   #12
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Darjeeling Limited
Juno
Superbad

in no particular order, and I barely even realized Superbad was '07! I'm probably forgetting something, btu I didnt go to many movies this year...

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2008, 04:27 PM   #13
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
if they werent going for a cool factor, what could they have possibly been going for? the movie is entertaining, but jason bateman as a rocking perverted middle aged dude who of all the amazing sonic youth songs chose "superstar" as his favorite, just competley non-believable. just the fact they chose a song like that from a band like the youth proves they know nothing about that band or underground music, but used it as a ploy to grab attention hip to good music. if you see otherwise thats your opinion but thats no reason to get all uptight and tell me to, "log off and never return". god forbid we share opinions on a fucking message board.

earth to batreleaser:
did you get that it's just a fucking movie character whose choice of seduction sountrack you're arguing about?

the whole point of this is that he's stuck in the early 90's. that is all. he's not supposed to be the pope of all things musical. why are you trying to read some esoteric meaning into this?

!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2008, 04:39 PM   #14
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Bah, Hmmm, what about the bit where she goes "btw, I bought another sonic youth album and it sucks, it's just noise!".
The choice of the song proves nothing more beside the fact that the character in the movie likes it, who knows, maybe it's just the song he and his wife used to dance to..saying "favorite" is waaaaay different from saying "it's their best one". If they wanted to have a cool-hip factor kimya dawson isn't the best choice for the rest of the soundtrack. I think you're giving too much weight to that bit, that's all. You can stay logged on .
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2008, 04:39 PM   #15
batreleaser
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
earth to batreleaser:
did you get that it's just a fucking movie character whose choice of seduction sountrack you're arguing about?

the whole point of this is that he's stuck in the early 90's. that is all. he's not supposed to be the pope of all things musical. why are you trying to read some esoteric meaning into this?

you know, i think youre right, im sold. ive realized that maybe im so hard on that movie is because maybe, besides the girl who was fantastic, i just dont like the film. scratch it off my list.
Old 01.29.2008, 04:55 PM   #17
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
simpsons movie was terrible
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2008, 04:56 PM   #18
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
it was mediocre

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2008, 04:58 PM   #19
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
you know, i think youre right, im sold. ive realized that maybe im so hard on that movie is because maybe, besides the girl who was fantastic, i just dont like the film. scratch it off my list.

ah ok. the movie was, shall we say, "cute". juno's lines were very funny. ellen page's face was super-lovely. allison janney is awesome, she should have have more screen time. the dude who played the dad was great, whats his name. i can't stand that chick with the horseface-- the elektra chick.

still, the movie didn't blow my mind or anything. some parts were confusing, like, was she trying to hit on the guy or what? and then she becomes sanctimonious? it's like they cut something out.

but i had a fun time...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth