Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page the superbowl half time show
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.03.2008, 08:17 PM   #1
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Considering its one of the main reasons ive watched the superbowl, how have you seen it? Personally, Prince last year was more memorable than the game, he kicked arse

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.03.2008, 08:47 PM   #3
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Amen, the symbol feller kicked arse

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.03.2008, 11:39 PM   #4
hat and bread
children of satan

hat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asses
Go NNNNNYsark jolLYyy hunikk1s!
woot!
hat and bread is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.03.2008, 11:51 PM   #5
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Eh, it wasn't bad. It was what it was. Mass culture for the masses. The performance was credible and competent. You know, Petty's no Boris, but then, this is the superbowl we're talking about.

I actually preferred the Stones over Petty or Prince, though.
Old 02.03.2008, 11:56 PM   #6
barnaclelapse
the destroyed room

barnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's asses
I thought Tom Petty & Co. were a lot better than Prince myself.

Though I will say those were far from the best live versions of those songs that I've heard.

I think, it's the fact that Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers actually look like they're having a good time playing music and that they'd play just as well and with just as much natural enthusiasm and energy if they were playing at some suburban picnic for a couple dozen people than at the Superbowl.

Prince acted like...well...Prince.

Pretentious as hell and so wrapped up in himself that I'm amazed he knew where he was at all.

I dunno. He's just a lot of bland pop music to me.

But that's just one man's opinion.
barnaclelapse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.04.2008, 12:04 AM   #7
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnaclelapse
I thought Tom Petty & Co. were a lot better than Prince myself.

Though I will say those were far from the best live versions of those songs that I've heard.

I think, it's the fact that Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers actually look like they're having a good time playing music and that they'd play just as well and with just as much natural enthusiasm and energy if they were playing at some suburban picnic for a couple dozen people than at the Superbowl.

Prince acted like...well...Prince.

Pretentious as hell and so wrapped up in himself that I'm amazed he knew where he was at all.

I dunno. He's just a lot of bland pop music to me.

But that's just one man's opinion.

Ditto for me, re your assessment of the Prince.

As for Petty, I like that he and the band appear to know they're just a rock and roll band, and that modesty is their charm. They don't try for anything over the top, just keeping it to simple 60s-influenced rock and roll, and while they're not my cup of tea every day, they definitely justify their existence.

I like the arrow and heart display. That was pretty cool. Overall, a good live performance.

I do wish Petty would get rid of the facial hair, though. I think past a certain age, beards just make men look older.
Old 02.04.2008, 12:35 AM   #8
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

EyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's asses
Prince was better
EyeballGrowth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.04.2008, 12:48 AM   #9
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Some where around the commerical break before the half-time show, and the end of Tom Petty's set I dozed off. I woke up in time to watch the start of 3rd period. Also, did anyone else think the SB commericals were really underwhelming this year? I found them pretty dull.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.04.2008, 11:37 AM   #10
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
the heartbreakers were allright. they really have very few out and out ROCKIN songs.
free fallin is a nightmare to my ears
all in all I sAy it was better than p[aul mccartney, as good as the stones,a dn not as good as prince.

Prince fucking rocked it
slammed into Purple rain with a face melting solo. wonderful shit.
Old 02.04.2008, 02:21 PM   #11
ChocolateJesus
bad moon rising

ChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's asses
Super Bowl. Ha. I did not even know the Super Bowl was yesterday until I got to the bar and wondered aloud why it was so slow.... I had no idea that the halftime show of the superbowl had bands. That is exactly how much I care.
ChocolateJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.04.2008, 02:34 PM   #12
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
thanks for caring enough to post meaningless nonsense on this thread, chocojeebus
Old 02.04.2008, 02:54 PM   #13
ChocolateJesus
bad moon rising

ChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's asses
You are so very welcome, sports fan.
ChocolateJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.04.2008, 03:14 PM   #14
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

FOOTBALL FANATIC!

life is over until September
Old 02.04.2008, 03:47 PM   #15
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
best super bowl i've ever set eyes upon (been eye-setting since 1985).

and best super bowl ad ever--http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiMf5cCDy1I
Old 02.04.2008, 04:01 PM   #16
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

the last super bowls have all been very exciting. the patriots beating the panthers was awesome, so many lead changes. the patriots have won three super bowls by 3 points each and lost a super bowl by 3 points.

makes them wish they had adam viniateri huh?
Old 02.04.2008, 04:28 PM   #17
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Best one since Carolina and New England.....my thoughts exactly, Rob.

That bomb from Eli to Tyree after avoiding the sack was one of the most insane plays ever.
Old 02.04.2008, 04:38 PM   #18
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

tyree caught it with one hand and his helmet!!
Old 02.04.2008, 04:59 PM   #19
Disgruntled Youth
the end of the ugly

Disgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's asses
Isn't Tom like 100 or so. I think they could have gotten someone better. Some station played 4 hours of Petty just because. Some guy I know said that's the best thing ever. Those guys looked old & tired, sorry....

"Drink Guinness & live,
Hate Guinness & die"
Lee "Scratch" Perry
Disgruntled Youth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.04.2008, 10:26 PM   #20
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
this is easily the best music related performance attached to ANY super bowl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJNC3dgreaU
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth