Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Is Jack Malebranche right?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.07.2008, 03:14 AM   #1
sarramkrop

http://www.jackmalebranche.com/hub/

GAY IS DEAD

The word gay has never described mere homosexuality. Gay is a subculture, a slur, a set of gestures, a slang, a look, a posture, a parade, a rainbow flag, a film genre, a taste in music, a hairstyle, a marketing demographic, a bumper sticker, a political agenda and philosophical viewpoint. Gay is a pre-packaged, superficial persona—a lifestyle. It's a sexual identity that has almost nothing to do with sexuality.
Androphilia is a rejection of the overloaded gay identity and a return to a discussion of homosexuality in terms of desire: a raw, apolitical sexual desire and the sexualized appreciation for masculinity as experienced by men. The gay sensiblility is a near-oblivious embrace of a castrating slur, the nonstop celebration of an age-old, emasulating stimga applied to men who engaged in homosexual acts. Gays and radical queers imagine that they challenge the status quo, but in appropriating the stigma of effeminacy, they merely conform to and confirm long-established expectations. Men who love men have been paradoxically cast as the enemies of masculinity—slaves to the feminist pipe dream of a 'gender-neutral' (read: anti-male, pro-female) world.
Androphlia is a manifesto full of truly dangerous ideas: that men can have sex with men and retain their manhood, that homosexuality can be about championing a masculine ideal rather than attacking it, and that the wicked, oppressive 'construct of masculinity' despised by the gay community could actually enrich and improve the lives of homosexual and bisexual men. Androphilia is for those men who never really bought what the gay community was selling; it's a challenge to leave the gay world completely behind and to rejoin the world of men, unapologetically, as androphliles, but more importantly, as men.

|QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2008, 06:05 AM   #2
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
it's going to be a struggle to change the face of homosexual culture seeing as the gay stereotype has been totally embraced by the mainstream and become synonymous with homosexuality. but it would be a good thing if it did happen.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2008, 07:06 AM   #3
sarramkrop

In a way it has been happening for a while. While you still have certain social mechanisms that produce *insert stereotype*/ chaser, there are also men out there who look like men, fancy other men who look like men, but don't exagerate their masculine traits to the point of caricaturing them.

There's also quite an epidemic of certain male stereotypes brought up to the fore and given their own habitat, generally a club, or, as someone told me recently, a point of meeting*. Think about the craze about men in suits, sloppy-looking bears, daddies, all types that retain a fairly normal semblance and a non-effeminate look.

* There's apparently a place in the city where homosexual business men meet for a chat and networking. This place was opened for people who hold jobs of a certain importance in the city and want to meet other men with a similar social status.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2008, 10:41 AM   #4
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
I had a homosexual friend in high school that was a nice guy, fun to hang out with. Then he went to college and he turned GAY. He suddenly had this brand new culture. He was a drag princess, he had his hair bleach blonde, he was always a little effeminate, but he really went off the deep end.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2008, 10:49 AM   #5
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
You're here. You're queer. I'm used to it.
Old 09.13.2008, 06:28 AM   #6
sarramkrop

Anyone read this guy's book? I finally got it last week. I agree 100% with some of what he says, 100 % less on other things he has to say, the rest I sneered my way through the pages.

Nice cockstika painting.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2008, 06:51 AM   #7
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malebranche
My favorite critic Jordan has read Androphilia and has shared his thoughts about the book. I present this without comment, except to say that his commentary thusfar, like the commentary of most gay males, is almost entirely grounded in high school non-reality. There is a difference between dealing with groups of males at the junior high school and high school level–the very peak of male insecurity–and dealing with adults on an adult level. And there’s a difference between public and private, and dealing with issues on the macro and micro levels (best for society vs. being an asshole toward individuals). Further, I work with the typical jock asshole/football player type who would have stuffed you in your locker. Some of them actually do grow up, and it is equally important that those who they wronged also grow up and rise above high school posturing.

I'll probably check Androphilia out. I think it's a wider malaise than just the gay community, but there are a lot of people who carry the bullying they received around at school around like a badge, where every slight criticism is the same person who was calling the crap at sports type a queer in school. Obviously, bullying can be horrific, but I get the impression a lot of people use it as a mental crutch. Some people continue to be cunts, but if someone acts, or once acted, like a cunt, there's no reason to shut down all communication barriers.

At least I think that's what he's getting at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2008, 07:05 AM   #8
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I'll probably check Androphilia out. I think it's a wider malaise than just the gay community, but there are a lot of people who carry the bullying they received around at school around like a badge, where every slight criticism is the same person who was calling the crap at sports type a queer in school. Obviously, bullying can be horrific, but I get the impression a lot of people use it as a mental crutch. Some people continue to be cunts, but if someone acts, or once acted, like a cunt, there's no reason to shut down all communication barriers.

At least I think that's what he's getting at.

Yeah, one of the things that irritated me about him is that he seems to base the entire psychological tapestry of homosexual men on their relationship with masculinity alone, which seems to me important but incomplete, considering that - taken away the feeding of mutual insecurities that is the fag hag/sterotypical gay man friendship- there is a whole world to explore about the interaction between females and male homosexuals. This is not even getting into female homosexuality itself, which is never discussed enough.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2008, 07:11 AM   #9
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, precisely - gender, sexuality, sex are all different things, and it's important that masculinity and femininity are not prescriptive things. Masculinity and femininity are not single objects. I think it's easier to see in art than in people, there's a fluid, non-dogmatic sense in which it's possible to be a feminine rugby player, a masculine fag, a masculine shoe-model, a feminine Diesel dyke.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 09.13.2008, 07:22 AM   #10
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
This thread's gay.

[/obvious since I'm posting in it and I like fingers in my ass and yada yada]

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2008, 09:43 AM   #11
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Yeah, precisely - gender, sexuality, sex are all different things, and it's important that masculinity and femininity are not prescriptive things. Masculinity and femininity are not single objects. I think it's easier to see in art than in people, there's a fluid, non-dogmatic sense in which it's possible to be a feminine rugby player, a masculine fag, a masculine shoe-model, a feminine Diesel dyke.

Let's show these Americans what complex thinking is really made of.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2008, 09:50 AM   #12
Glice
invito al cielo

Are you hitting on me?

Quote:
Old 09.13.2008, 09:57 AM   #13
sarramkrop

I can smell your voice from here.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2008, 11:32 AM   #14
Glice
invito al cielo

That could well be self-satisfaction you can smell.

Quote:
Old 09.13.2008, 11:35 AM   #15
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
^^^ that's super.

if I was gay, I'd be very interested in finding another descriptor.

"gay" died about the time that 14 year olds starting using it instead of "retarded".

whatever it is, choose one for yrself soon before you end up a "special sexual needs person".
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2008, 06:50 AM   #16
sarramkrop

I call myself hatredsexual. That way I'm not discriminating against anyone.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2008, 06:58 AM   #17
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I wanted to mention something about the validity of this perspective from its connection with ancient Greco-Roman ideals this morning but couldn't think of how to introduce it. So now I'm using the fact as the introduction.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2008, 07:27 AM   #18
Glice
invito al cielo

I often wonder how much the notions of Greco-Roman sexuality isn't a bit at odds with what the non-aristocracy or barbarians were doing. That is to say, posh people have always been indulgent ponces (Bacchanale [sp?]/ Saturnalia), but were the plebs rolling in shit actually into fucking pigs?

Quote:
Old 09.14.2008, 07:28 AM   #19
Glice
invito al cielo

I'm going to not edit that statement so as to remind myself of how not to construct a sentence.

Quote:
Old 09.14.2008, 07:33 AM   #20
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I call myself hatredsexual. That way I'm not discriminating against anyone.

Can I call myself a homopsycho then?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth