Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page need: bunel and cocteu recemondations
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.25.2008, 08:54 AM   #1
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
ive been wanting to watch their films but i dont know where to start. i have seen chein andalous by bunel so far.
it seems to be that for bunel the place to start is the discreet charm of the borgouis, and for cocteu-blood of a poet.
what are your opinions?
thanks in advance
much obliged
FF

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2008, 03:02 PM   #2
o o o
the destroyed room

o o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asses
Regarding Luis Buñuel :

I think my favourite movies of his are "Belle de jour" (Catherine Deneuve as a housewife who decides to spend her afternoons as a prostitute), "El ángel exterminador / The exterminating angel" (a bourgeois dinner party whose guests mysteriously find themselves unable to leave their hosts house at the end of the evening) and "Le journal d'une femme de chambre / Diary of a chambermaid" (Jeanne Moreau being the chambermaid that starts a new job in the house of a family in the countryside).

I also enjoyed a lot "Le fantôme de la liberté / The Phantom of Liberty" (the movie constantly jumps from one story to another, by following one character from the previous story… I think it's his funniest movie. It includes one section about one young girl that has disappeared at school, and everyone is looking for her, the parents go to the police, etc. except that the young girl is always on screen and other characters even interact with her to know details about what happened to her before she "disappeared"), "Le charme discret de la bourgeoisie / The discreet charm of the bourgeoisie" (bourgeois friends who plan to have dinner together but because of a series of various events, never manage to), and "La voie lactée / The milky way" (a pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela where the two main characters travel in various time periods and meet several embodiments of Catholic heresies).

I saw in that other thread that you have seen "That obscure object of desire" recently: I also liked that one a lot. A great final movie from him. I enjoyed less "Tristana", but maybe I need to see it again.

There are quite a few of his older movies I would like to see. I saw "Los olvidados / The forgotten" not too long ago, but I had a hangover and was very tired, so I could not concentrate properly. It still was quite good though.

His movies often have great titles.
o o o is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2008, 03:07 PM   #3
o o o
the destroyed room

o o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asses
Sorry, I realise that I did not exactly give specific recommendations but that's because I really enjoyed most of the movies I've seen from him... Many of his movies do not necessarily exactly blow me away, but I still find them very interesting in many ways, and think they are all worth seeing... Plus, I am always bad at hierarchising my tastes, be it for music or movies.

I have never seen any Cocteau, but would like to, so I would also be interested in recommendations.
Old 07.06.2008, 03:09 PM   #4
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazifan
ive been wanting to watch their films but i dont know where to start. i have seen chein andalous by bunel so far.
it seems to be that for bunel the place to start is the discreet charm of the borgouis, and for cocteu-blood of a poet.
what are your opinions?
thanks in advance
much obliged
FF

if you wanna go chrono w/ bunuel follow with L'AGE D'OR

it's available

cocteau, hm... i really like his take on the orpheus myth-- orpheus taking dictation from a radio in his garage-- awesome. but yeah start with la sang d'un poete -> orphee -> le testament d'orphee then fill in the rest
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2008, 03:12 PM   #5
o o o
the destroyed room

Ah... I really wanted to see "L'âge d'or", but I think that the place where I rent movies did not have it... I should check again.
Old 07.06.2008, 03:28 PM   #6
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Cocteau, The Blood of a Poet
Bunuel, Everything and anything. Seriously. Exterminating Angel, maybe, but seriously. Whatever you find first, it'll be great.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2008, 11:29 PM   #7
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
cool, thanks. since i posted this i saw the excremating angel and the obscure object of desire. both were great. i definatly want to see belle dejour, the discreet charm of the bourgeoisie and the diary of a chambermaid. and the milky way.
and as for cocteu, i will see blood of a poet first.

what is the difference in plot between the excremating angel andn the discreet charm of the bourgeoisie? it seems like they are very similar in concept.

after seeing two of his movies i can definatly see that this is the start of a beautiful friendship....

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth