Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Who is the Most influential Figure in Post-War World Sport.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.18.2008, 01:06 PM   #1
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
The BBC asked this question this morning and I've been thinking about it a lot all day.

Apparantly, the criteria is not just a person's impact within their own sport, but within sport generally.

Personally, I'm going (albeit tentativelly) with Pele. Who was arguably the first sportsman to be thought of as a genius, in the same sense that, say, a painter was. Ali would be another obvious candidate - although for slightly different reasons.

The BBC were clearly adressing an Anglo-European audience (they mentioned David Beckham) and I'm anticipating that a country such as the US would have a radically different take on things.

So anyway, I'm going - admittedly without much confidence - for Pele.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2008, 01:09 PM   #2
ithinkimissyou
stalker

ithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's asses
Hmm

Off the top of my head, the names of Ali, Gehrig and Beckenbauer come to mind.

Edit: God damn it, Gehrigs career ended before the war. But his story sticks out for me above everyone else to be honest.
Old 07.18.2008, 01:16 PM   #3
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
It's tricky, because you'd have to go for a sport with a broad appeal. If you were saying snooker players, I'd go with Davis or (in a few years time) Hendry or O'Sullivan. In itself this shows my age, as I can't remember Willie Thorn as a player. But snooker is hardly the most popular of sports.

I wonder if it's asking about their personality, their life, general influence as well? Y'know, in a Martina Navratilova kind of way.

Obviously, some smart-arse is going to say Kasparov, who's probably a million times closer to 'real' genius than Pele, but chess isn't a sport. It is something, but that something isn't a sport.

I don't think cricketers would get the mass appeal either. For all Warne's absurd ability, or Lara's legend, or the sheer 'how the fuck?!' of Muralitharan, do these players mean anything to non-cricket fans? I'm a non-football fan, and Péle certainly means something to me.

I'd expect some might say Tiger Woods. Is he as good as Sebe? I dunno, but he's certainly high-profile.

Anyway. The obvious answer is Fred Perry. Table Tennis champion, last Brit to win Wimbledon and inventor of a shirt so ubiquitous no-one ever thinks to associate it with Fred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2008, 01:20 PM   #4
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
A fair point regarding Gehrig (even if he doesn't quite fit the timeframe) but would you say he had any real influence outside of the US.

BTW, just as the BBC were, I'm being rather vague regarding the word 'influential'.
Old 07.18.2008, 01:21 PM   #5
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Bubka.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2008, 01:22 PM   #6
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Rubbish. Perry doesn't quite fit the post-war bit.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 07.18.2008, 01:25 PM   #7
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses

Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2008, 01:29 PM   #8
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Пятхъдесят Шест

Quote:
Old 07.18.2008, 01:32 PM   #9
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Old 07.18.2008, 01:34 PM   #10
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
It's tricky, because you'd have to go for a sport with a broad appeal. If you were saying snooker players, I'd go with Davis or (in a few years time) Hendry or O'Sullivan. In itself this shows my age, as I can't remember Willie Thorn as a player. But snooker is hardly the most popular of sports.

I wonder if it's asking about their personality, their life, general influence as well? Y'know, in a Martina Navratilova kind of way.

Obviously, some smart-arse is going to say Kasparov, who's probably a million times closer to 'real' genius than Pele, but chess isn't a sport. It is something, but that something isn't a sport.

I don't think cricketers would get the mass appeal either. For all Warne's absurd ability, or Lara's legend, or the sheer 'how the fuck?!' of Muralitharan, do these players mean anything to non-cricket fans? I'm a non-football fan, and Péle certainly means something to me.

I'd expect some might say Tiger Woods. Is he as good as Sebe? I dunno, but he's certainly high-profile.

Anyway. The obvious answer is Fred Perry. Table Tennis champion, last Brit to win Wimbledon and inventor of a shirt so ubiquitous no-one ever thinks to associate it with Fred.

Yes I agree with a number of the problems you pose.

I assume that the BBC referred to a figure's broad influence within sport in general. Realistically, as you mention, it has to be a fairly universal sport: football, athletics, boxing and tennis.

I'm willing to stand corrected, but I'm beginning to drift towards nominating George Best, whose general reception by both professionals, critics and fans seems to have completely validated the notion of the way-ward genius, so crucial to the career of Ayrton Senna, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Paul Gascoigne, Zidane, John McEnroe, Mike Tyson, and so on. Prior to Best, It could be argued that sportsmen were thought of either as professional athletes, or craftsmen. Best may not have been responsible for the idea of the sporting genius (I still stand by Pele for this) but being read as the 'tortured genius' he defines the critical reception of so many sportspersons today.
Old 07.18.2008, 01:36 PM   #11
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666

I assume that the BBC referred to the a figure's broade influence within sport in general. Realistically, as you mention, it has to be a fairly universal sport: football, athletics, boxing and tennis.

Why is basketball not a universal sport?
Old 07.18.2008, 01:37 PM   #12
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
May we include biggest negative influence?

pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2008, 01:39 PM   #13
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:

Because most of the world outside of the US and parts of Asia and Central/South America has nothing but a passing interest in it.

Look, let's not not get hung up on this point. We all know that some sports have a broader global appeal than others.
Old 07.18.2008, 01:39 PM   #14
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:

America, maybe Mexico, Japan and, I think, Holland... I can't think of any other countries that are internationally known for playing basketball.

I'm sure if you were asking this question in South Asia you'd see a lot of Kabbadi, Hockey and Cricket players.

Quote:
Old 07.18.2008, 01:46 PM   #15
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Quote:
America, maybe Mexico, Japan and, I think, Holland... I can't think of any other countries that are internationally known for playing basketball.

I'm sure if you were asking this question in South Asia you'd see a lot of Kabbadi, Hockey and Cricket players.

Take a look at NBA rosters (not that you will anyway) and its obvious how global a game it has become. Top players in the NBA hail from Serbia, Spain, France, China, various African nations, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Lithuania, Russia etc.

I would argue the global spread of basketball is due in some part to the mega star Micheal Jordan was in the 80s and 90s.

The USA has lost the last three big tournaments they've played in to the likes of new powers like Argentina and Spain.
Old 07.18.2008, 01:51 PM   #16
Glice
invito al cielo

I stand corrected. But I'll say that if you're including Basketball players, the roster of internationally brilliant cricket sides would probably dwarf that of Basketballing nations.

Edit: I should note, and even that doesn't mean there's that many cricket players that non-cricket fans would recognise.

Quote:
Old 07.18.2008, 01:52 PM   #17
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:

Exactly, which is the very reason why I never brought Steve Redgrave into the equation. I can already hear half the posters muttering to themselves, "steve who?" To which I'd reply, "exactly."
Old 07.18.2008, 01:54 PM   #18
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Exactly, which is the very reason why I never brought Steve Redgrave into the equation. I can already hear half the posters muttering to themselves, "steve who?" To which I'd reply, "exactly."

If I wasn't British, I wouldn't give a fuck who he was or that he does the sport he does. What was the name of our cyclist? Same thing. Well done and all that, but for fuck's sake can't we just once be best at a sport that everyone enjoys?

Quote:
Old 07.18.2008, 01:57 PM   #19
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Take a look at NBA rosters (not that you will anyway) and its obvious how global a game it has become. Top players in the NBA hail from Serbia, Spain, France, China, various African nations, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Lithuania, Russia etc.

I would argue the global spread of basketball is due in some part to the mega star Micheal Jordan was in the 80s and 90s.

The USA has lost the last three big tournaments they've played in to the likes of new powers like Argentina and Spain.

Permit me to say that while basketball may take players from around the world, it's committed fanbase exists within a very specific group of territories. Even countries as sports mad as the UK, India or Australia provide it with little more than a cult following.
Old 07.18.2008, 01:59 PM   #20
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Quote:
Well done and all that, but for fuck's sake can't we just once be best at a sport that everyone enjoys?

it did happen:

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth