Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Dread Natty Dread, natty dreadlocks inna Babylon!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.12.2008, 12:39 PM   #1
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Today marks seven years that I have been dedicated and consecrated a dreadlocks man, roots natty roots, the congo man here in Babylon. It has not been easy, but it has been fun. the Lord works in mysterious ways to fullfill his every declaration. On this day, I celebrate the consecration of my head, and pray to keep it holy ever-more.

"
The Nazirite

1 The LORD said to Moses, 2 "Speak to the Israelites and say to them: 'If a man or woman wants to make a special vow, a vow of separation to the LORD as a Nazirite, 3 he must abstain from wine and other fermented drink and must not drink vinegar made from wine or from other fermented drink. He must not drink grape juice or eat grapes or raisins. 4 As long as he is a Nazirite, he must not eat anything that comes from the grapevine, not even the seeds or skins. 5 " 'During the entire period of his vow of separation no razor may be used on his head. He must be holy until the period of his separation to the LORD is over; he must let the hair of his head grow long. 6 Throughout the period of his separation to the LORD he must not go near a dead body. 7 Even if his own father or mother or brother or sister dies, he must not make himself ceremonially unclean on account of them, because the symbol of his separation to God is on his head. 8 Throughout the period of his separation he is consecrated to the LORD.
9 " 'If someone dies suddenly in his presence, thus defiling the hair he has dedicated, he must shave his head on the day of his cleansing—the seventh day. 10 Then on the eighth day he must bring two doves or two young pigeons to the priest at the entrance to the Tent of Meeting. 11 The priest is to offer one as a sin offering and the other as a burnt offering to make atonement for him because he sinned by being in the presence of the dead body. That same day he is to consecrate his head. 12 He must dedicate himself to the LORD for the period of his separation and must bring a year-old male lamb as a guilt offering. The previous days do not count, because he became defiled during his separation."

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2008, 12:43 PM   #2
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
my dreads are formed like Samson, who is said had seven locks on his head, which was unexplainable in the sunday schools until the natty dread come on the scene. I have seen kids bible books illustrate samson a million ways, but never the way it really would have been. Many dread, like myself and those pictured above, have a handful of dreads, and we are able to number the hairs of our head. years and years, dreads and kids are like a living calender, they just grow and grow keeping track of time, just as time flies, so to do kids grow taller and dreads grow longer, reminding you of how long it has been...

Old 08.12.2008, 12:46 PM   #3
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
why is it a sin to be near a dead body?

I realize that Rastas do not write wills or deal in anything that does not affirm everlasting life, but does this mean you would not have been able to go to yr own mother's funeral had she died?

surely, Jah is more forgiving.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2008, 12:56 PM   #4
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
why is it a sin to be near a dead body?

I realize that Rastas do not write wills or deal in anything that does not affirm everlasting life, but does this mean you would not have been able to go to yr own mother's funeral had she died?

surely, Jah is more forgiving.

not Rastas, Nazirites. it is a period of ritual separation, and dead bodies happen to be part of the mix, so I have actually had to turn down several funerals of close family, early on it caused some trouble, but over the years there are less and less hurt feelings. i suppose you should ask Moses.

here is my playlist for the day: Roots!Ras!Reggae Mix VIII [Natty Dread mix]

1)Bob Marley “Natty Dread”
2)Dillinger “Studio Star”
3)Gladiators “Dreadlocks the Time is Now”
4)Culture “Hard to be a Rastaman in Babylon”
5)Israel Vibration “Natty Dreadlocks”
6)Itals “Run Baldhead Run”
7)Peter Tosh “Wanted Dread or Alive”
8)Black Uhuru “Guess Whose Comin to Dinner”
9)Briggadier Jerry and Josey Wailes “Nice Vibez”
10)Horace Andy “Dreadslocks She Loves”
11)Big Joe “Natty Dread Don’t Bow”
12)Cornell Campbell “Ranking Dread”
13)The Ethiopians “Dread Prophecy”
14)U-Roy “I’m a Rastaman Dreadlocks”
15)Sizzla “Grow Your Locks”
16)Bunny Wailer “Rastaman”
17)Jacob Miller “False Rasta [dreadlocks man]”
18)The Congos “Congo Man”

Old 08.12.2008, 01:01 PM   #5
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
^^^ add this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt4L3U2iAWc

one of my all-time favorites. no sound at work, so I hope it plays.

anyways, congrats. I may not always agree with you completely, but yr heart is in the right place and I sincerely respect yr dogged adherence to yr convictions. it can't be easy.
Old 08.12.2008, 01:03 PM   #6
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Hmmm, just yesterday I came up on the Nazirites on wikipedia while reading the article on the Book of Numbers.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2008, 01:04 PM   #7
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
uh yay dreadlocks.

if you've ever seen what gets inside of them you'd think otherwise. ew.
Old 08.12.2008, 01:05 PM   #8
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
if you've ever seen what gets inside of them you'd think otherwise. ew.

this is why it should be more a rite of religious passage than a fashion statement!
Old 08.12.2008, 01:08 PM   #9
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
this is why it should be more a rite of religious passage than a fashion statement!
i guess.
Old 08.12.2008, 01:12 PM   #10
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I'm too sexy for my dreads. Too sexy for my dreads. Too sexy yeah-hah.
Old 08.12.2008, 01:12 PM   #11
mangajunky
expwy. to yr skull

mangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's asses
So why do they have to dread up? Can't you brush or comb your hair?
It seems to read that you can't cut it not that you can't brush or comb it.

Don't let yer meat loaf.
mangajunky is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2008, 01:12 PM   #12
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

i'm too sexy for my cat

doesn't he say that?
Old 08.12.2008, 01:13 PM   #13
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Yes, he does
Old 08.12.2008, 01:16 PM   #14
pbradley
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
i'm too sexy for my cat

doesn't he say that?
Right Said Fred is too sexy for a lot of things.
Old 08.12.2008, 01:18 PM   #15
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Right Said Fred is too sexy for a lot of things.
Especially another hit song.
Old 08.12.2008, 01:24 PM   #16
pbradley
invito al cielo

I'm too sexy to rep your reply.
Old 08.12.2008, 04:18 PM   #17
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangajunky
So why do they have to dread up? Can't you brush or comb your hair?
It seems to read that you can't cut it not that you can't brush or comb it.

I have met jewish nazirites who let their hair grow long and just comb it. this is also how sheiks do it, as they do not shave, cut their hair or their nails, but let these functions grow naturally. Well, the natty dread is the same thing, this is the way my hair grew naturally, shit, even when i tried to break some apart in the early days my spirit felt the pain more then my scalp, and I could not do it, so that is why I have seven dreads rather then a few dozen.

Old 08.12.2008, 04:18 PM   #18
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
^^^ add this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt4L3U2iAWc

one of my all-time favorites. no sound at work, so I hope it plays.

anyways, congrats. I may not always agree with you completely, but yr heart is in the right place and I sincerely respect yr dogged adherence to yr convictions. it can't be easy.

props. that is added to my Nattydread playlist!

Old 08.12.2008, 04:20 PM   #19
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Hmmm, just yesterday I came up on the Nazirites on wikipedia while reading the article on the Book of Numbers.

we Nazirites were the only Israelites allowed to pronounce the sacred name of God during the Hebrew Liturgy services. This name, pronounced "Ehyah Asher Ehyah" means "I Am who I Am" or Ehyah "I AM" for short [exodus 3:16], and it was strictly forbidden to be spoken outloud. It was replaced with "Adonai" for Lord, rather then pronounce this name outside of purity. However, due to the consecration of their head, the nazirites were allowed to chant and sing this great and powerful name, in fact, in Herod's temple they had their own court to chant their part of the liturgy, and also to sheer their locks at the end of their consecration. The Apostle Paul took this vow, under its temporary version, but I-man follow the lifelong nazirite path of Samuel and Samson.

Old 08.12.2008, 04:21 PM   #20
al shabbray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
Especially another hit song.
I am happy about that!

in germany they got some....and they are even worse
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth