Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page So in case the LHC does kill us all tomorrow...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.09.2008, 07:46 AM   #1
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Say some things here. Thread will be re-created before 21st October, when the first high energy collisions take place.

I'd miss you crazy muthafuckers if this happened.
Old 09.09.2008, 08:02 AM   #2
al shabbray

what?
please clear me up
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2008, 08:03 AM   #3
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
see you in hell.
Old 09.09.2008, 08:04 AM   #4
al shabbray

thats not clearing up. at least not for me
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2008, 08:21 AM   #5
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is the world's largest particle accelerator complex, intended to collide opposing beams of 7 TeV protons. Its main purpose is to explore the validity and limitations of the Standard Model, the current theoretical picture for particle physics. The LHC was built by the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN), and lies under the Franco-Swiss border near Geneva, Switzerland.

The LHC is the world's largest and the highest-energy particle accelerator.[ It is funded and built in collaboration with over eight thousand physicists from over eighty-five countries as well as hundreds of universities and laboratories.
The collider is currently undergoing commissioning while being cooled down to its final operating temperature of approximately 1.9 K (−271.25 °C). Initial particle beam injections were successfully carried out on 8-11 August 2008, the first attempt to circulate a beam through the entire LHC is scheduled for 10 September 2008, and the first high-energy collisions are planned to take place after the LHC is officially unveiled, on 21 October 2008 .
When activated, it is theorized that the collider will produce the elusive Higgs boson, the observation of which could confirm the predictions and missing links in the Standard Model of physics and could explain how other elementary particles acquire properties such as mass.
Although a few individuals have questioned the safety of the planned experiments in the media and through the courts, the consensus in the scientific community is that there is no basis for any conceivable threat from the LHC particle collisions.

The Large Hadron Collider has been featured in a number of novels, including Flashforward by Robert J. Sawyer, Black Hole, by Angelo Paratico, and Decipher by Stel Pavlou, which described it in some detail. One of the most visible examples is Angels & Demons by Dan Brown, which involves dangerous antimatter created at the LHC used as a weapon against the Vatican. CERN published a "Fact or Fiction?" page discussing the accuracy of the book's portrayal of the LHC, CERN, and particle physics in general. The movie version of the book had footage filmed on-site at one of the experiments at the LHC; the director, Ron Howard, also met with CERN experts in an effort to make the science in the story more accurate. BBC Radio 4 will be broadcasting "Big Bang Day" on 10 September 2008 to coincide with LHC being switched on. Included in this event will be a radio episode of the TV series Torchwood, with a plot surrounding the LHC, entitled Lost Souls. Katherine McAlpine, aka "alpinekat", a science writer working at CERN, wrote the lyrics for a personal rap video about the LHC called the "The Large Hadron Rap". The song was added to YouTube on July 28, 2008, and, as of September 6th, it had been viewed more than a million time

fuck me!!!!!!!
read the rest of the blurb here
Old 09.09.2008, 08:28 AM   #6
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
...well, if it does kill us all, I'll miss the ATP festival in December. Crap!
Old 09.09.2008, 08:29 AM   #7
al shabbray

ah yes. under hamburg here is such a thing too. was the biggest some time ago I think
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2008, 08:34 AM   #8
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Hooray for the possibility of creating black holes.
Old 09.09.2008, 08:47 AM   #9
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
teeny tiny smaller than a proton black holes, which exist for less than a millisecond,a nd instantly "evaporate" will do NO harm to anything

grow up people! READ SCIENCE!!!!
Old 09.09.2008, 08:51 AM   #10
al shabbray

I can tell you what happened, switzerland is a direct neighbour, hahaha
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2008, 08:53 AM   #11
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
teeny tiny smaller than a proton black holes, which exist for less than a millisecond,a nd instantly "evaporate" will do NO harm to anything

grow up people! READ SCIENCE!!!!
that is, assuming Hawking is/was right.

mayhaps they require critical mass before they emit Hawking radiation and "evaporate".

*crosses diodes*
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2008, 08:53 AM   #12
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Just read that the evaporation of black holes is a THEORY ( by Hawking ).
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2008, 09:06 AM   #13
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
that is, assuming Hawking is/was right.

mayhaps they require critical mass before they emit Hawking radiation and "evaporate".

*crosses diodes*

I would much rather assume a fucking genius like hawking is right than a bunch of no-science-reading freakouts!
Old 09.09.2008, 09:08 AM   #14
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
despite the quote, I'm going to assume that you aren't talking to me.

please note: even fucking geniuses are wrong sometimes.
Old 09.09.2008, 09:09 AM   #15
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gualbert
Just read that the evaporation of black holes is a THEORY ( by Hawking ).

you know the "law" of gravitation by newton is actually a Theory?

You know relativity is a "theory?"

sxcientists know that nothing can ever be fully 100% understood or proven, because of the near infinite nature of our universe. the word "law" in science means a theory that has been tested and tested and tested and nothing ahs ever show it to eb wrong. the instant something does a theory/law is thrown out.

ablak hole that tine, and the universe is populated by maybe TRILLIONS of them, can fly right through a solid object like the earyh without ever interactig wityh even one bit of matter.

neutrinos do the sam ething. each second you are bombarded by millions of neutrinos travelling at lioght speed shooting out of our uper atmosphere andthe sun, and they do nothiong/

chills! it's just science!
Old 09.09.2008, 09:10 AM   #16
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
despite the quote, I'm going to assume that you aren't talking to me.

please note: even fucking geniuses are wrong sometimes.

who said they were not?

I said I will take a genius' educated and extremely well informed guess ove rthe hye of thousands of dolts talking mad smack about shit they know nothing about.
Old 09.09.2008, 09:14 AM   #17
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
who said they were not?

I said I will take a genius' educated and extremely well informed guess ove rthe hye of thousands of dolts talking mad smack about shit they know nothing about.

easy tiger, all I'm saying is I'd never put all the money on "currently predicted by theory".

beyond that, there's really no worry.

this world has 4 more years.

Old 09.09.2008, 09:14 AM   #18
al shabbray

lets see, is tomorrow the day where the blackholes will be procuced maybe? or is that in october?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2008, 09:17 AM   #19
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Hey, how about this: whatever happens happens.
Old 09.09.2008, 09:17 AM   #20
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by al shabbray
lets see, is tomorrow the day where the blackholes will be procuced maybe? or is that in october?

they fire it up on the 10th.

Large Hard-on Collider panic pops up everytime they warm it up though.

----8==><==8----

and as Rob is starting to prove, it's not just the kooks that get c-c-c-razy over it.

lulz.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth