Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Good 8-Track Recorders
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.04.2008, 02:42 PM   #1
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
Wondering if anyone can recommend a 8-track recorder...
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2008, 04:51 PM   #2
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
I'll just say that try and not go for the cheaper option, as the value of quality is a big jump... severely.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2008, 06:14 PM   #3
al shabbray

the question is:
what media do you wanna store on?
how much tracks will you record at the same time? (are you a whole band or are you a bedroom artists, if for case too you will save a lot of money)
I recommend hard disc with usb for backing up. I got myself one with a cd burner which is good cause I like to burn my backups to cd/dvd too.
and go for something with 24bit resolution, you got so much more headroom. I working with a 16 bit one, which I kinda get used too, but I got some more 24 bit gear and the difference is pretty decent if not the ultiate buying reason.
if you are going to record a lot with (good) mics choose a player with phantom voltage (48volt)!

what do you wanna do with it, which musical direction and what should it be good for?

I think trying some out is pretty difficult, cause you have to work yourself a little bit into the topic of recording if you dont got any experience and know what you want. but if so you wouldnt open this thread

this would be the followup model to my trusty 8 track (which I still wouldnt trade for anything else...except one of those babies)

but it looks way better then my old one, here is some good review information:
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r...oom/HD8CD/10/1

and what I can tell for zoom is overall pretty good. the menus are sometimes tricky but after youve get used to it, you will through it (tell me one 8track which isnt analog where its different) sound quality is pretty good (even for the 16 bit resolution, which is the resolution of a cd). its sturdy like hell. I use mine since 4 years, and thats how it looks, but works like its new!

so I hope this looooong text will help you
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2008, 07:01 PM   #4
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
^
4-8 simultaneous recording channels, 24 bit, in the range of 500-1000 USD, I'm not a bedroom recorder, and i'll be using around six mics. My main question is about storage, whether to go all USB/compact flash or go with that and CD burner built in.
Old 10.04.2008, 07:14 PM   #5
al shabbray

then I would recommend the same system but with 16 tracks (8 record simultaneous) its called:

ZOOM HD16CD

I would go for HD cause flashcards are getting expansive fast, cause wav files could get really big really fast. and 80gb of harddisc will survive every session.
the only issue now will be the 24 bit.
Ive read a lil bit bout that unit, and its processing in 24 bit, but puts out 16bit, so you got cd uality but the mixing features of a 24bit unit. which is really good for that price I think
plus it can correspond with a computer but can wokr on ots own, which is always a plus at least for me
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.05.2008, 07:47 PM   #6
RdTv
invito al cielo

Thanks for the input.
Old 10.06.2008, 09:45 AM   #7
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
i personally would stay away from those types of machines, but if you are kinda set on that sort of option then i would go for something like roland or tascam gear. however i would recommend just buying an 8 input soundcard if you can and downloading some software to try that perhaps is cracked or perhaps not. those hardware multitrackers are quite tedious to work on, and aren't so intuitive. if you are beyond bedroom recording i would seriously recommend moving to dp, pt or cb for recording. protools is m-audio compatible (as much as i don't personally like the sound of m-audio sound cards) you can get 8 i/o for about what you want to spend and with the card you will get protools le which will allow 28ch of recording, plus midi and some plugins. plus you usually get reason adapted and abelton live as well.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProFire2626.html
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.06.2008, 10:34 AM   #8
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
my friend uses one of these:
SD 788T

Its probably more high end than you want,
like that HHB 8 track recorder. I'd skip the one
with the CD burner built-in.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.06.2008, 10:57 AM   #9
valid
empty page

valid has much to be proud ofvalid has much to be proud ofvalid has much to be proud ofvalid has much to be proud ofvalid has much to be proud ofvalid has much to be proud ofvalid has much to be proud ofvalid has much to be proud ofvalid has much to be proud of
D888 by Korg is okay. It's digital though. But, for the money it has maximum toolage. good reverbs. 8 XLR in which is hard to come by for under 1000$. It does have some noise issues, just little hums and clicks, but they don't come out in the masters. They don't distract from the process. It also doubles as a live mixer.
Old 10.06.2008, 04:02 PM   #10
RdTv
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
i personally would stay away from those types of machines, but if you are kinda set on that sort of option then i would go for something like roland or tascam gear. however i would recommend just buying an 8 input soundcard if you can and downloading some software to try that perhaps is cracked or perhaps not. those hardware multitrackers are quite tedious to work on, and aren't so intuitive. if you are beyond bedroom recording i would seriously recommend moving to dp, pt or cb for recording. protools is m-audio compatible (as much as i don't personally like the sound of m-audio sound cards) you can get 8 i/o for about what you want to spend and with the card you will get protools le which will allow 28ch of recording, plus midi and some plugins. plus you usually get reason adapted and abelton live as well.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProFire2626.html
I considered that, but that would mean spending more money on a new cpu.
Old 10.06.2008, 04:30 PM   #11
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
I have a Fostex MR16.

16 tracks.. it was cheaper than an 8-track for some reason. My only beef with this thing is there are no equalising knobs, so its hard to mix things clearly and also the stereo output is two 1/4 jacks..

I have a Fostex 4-track cassette recorder and its a lot simpler and makes everything sound like it was recorded in the 40s. I wasted like £400 on the 16 track when the 4-track had basically everything I wanted.

www.myspace.com/fauxhemiansband <-- thats my band's myspace, those songs were recorded on the MR16.. so thats how it sounds.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.06.2008, 05:23 PM   #12
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdTv
I considered that, but that would mean spending more money on a new cpu.

not necessarily, i run a 4 year old powerbook with only 256mb ram and have done projects that have had 53 channels and it has handled it all right, just no plugins cos that would have driven it into the ground.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.07.2008, 02:07 AM   #13
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself

www.myspace.com/fauxhemiansband <-- thats my band's myspace, those songs were recorded on the MR16.. so thats how it sounds.

that's how you make it sound

I have the 8 track version, I like it quite a lot. Are you selling that ?
btw, I'm waiting for a track update for the tribute thing, one of the conributors asked for some time to get his track done better.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth