Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page vista v xp
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.04.2008, 03:48 PM   #1
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
ok so i am getting a new laptop and as with most nowadays its coming with vista which i am not familiar with and i know takes up a lot of space just to run the thing. so is it possible to get rid and have xp instead? would you recommend this?

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2008, 04:03 PM   #2
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Location: the land where large fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors
terriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's asses
Vista isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
Seriously.
Just turn off the stupid security shit and it's exactly like XP.
terriblecanyons is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2008, 04:20 PM   #3
akprodr
the end of the ugly

akprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's asses
I believe you are out of luck. I think last June was the last date for XP. Commercial users can purchase a 'downgrade' but that is not available to normal people.

Belay that. Maybe it was June of next year.

And yeah, there is nothing wrong with Vista--its just that XP does pretty much everything it needs to do. I think they've got at least one service pack no? That should take care of most stuff.
akprodr is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2008, 04:21 PM   #4
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
i'd stick with xp till the new win7 comes out, but getting rid of vista on a new lapto could invalidate the warranty....search for one with xp installed, I heard that due to a lot of requests they're shipping both versions of a bunch of models. symbol guy and fishfinger will probably be more helpful.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2008, 04:26 PM   #5
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
damn blasted microsoftocracy!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2008, 05:03 PM   #6
akprodr
the end of the ugly

akprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
damn blasted microsoftocracy!

Like Winston Smith drinking his Gin at the Chestnut Tree Cafe, I've come to terms with Bill Gates' abomination.

Does it still suck? Yeah. But most of the time it works resonably well.
Old 10.04.2008, 05:08 PM   #7
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
My grandpa bought a badass computer with Vista and gave it back to the company and bought a less badass but more expensive (?!) computer with XP on it. Because Vista sucks.

My friend installed XP over Vista on his laptop... which caused some problems but fuck it. He'd rather have XP.

And I know at least 4 other people with Vista who hated it.

Honestly, I don't think it's... that... bad. But certainly, the majority of opinions think it's the devil. I'd stick with XP, personally, you can't go wrong. But I'm still on ME so what the fuck do I know.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2008, 05:12 PM   #8
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
mac os x
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2008, 05:17 PM   #9
akprodr
the end of the ugly

mac tax
Old 10.04.2008, 05:37 PM   #10
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
i am hoping i can get at least a year and a half left out of my laptop in time to see if win7 turns out to be better then xp (cause it WILL be better then vista)

if not then i'd have to weigh options of other OS, maybe someday some one else will jump in like Google (they have OS for PDAs and such) or maybe Linux

it's a hard call as of right now what to chose, would you consider going to Apple jonboy? or are you thinking it has to be a microsoft OS?
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2008, 05:38 PM   #11
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
usually for laptops that come loaded with vista you cant find drivers for xp so many laptops wont work w/ downgrade to xp. desktops are more flexible.

vista's bugs are mostly patched, though it was buggy when it came out-- less buggy than xp when it came out though. my mac w/ the lates OSX (some kinda wildcat) still requires frequent updates and i get the "color wheel of death" every now & then. plus the programs take forever to start. even the fucking chess crashes 10% of the time-- it becomes frozen and won't let me win. it's all hype, i say.

re: old people who hate vista. old people hate everything new cuz they are used to their old ways & their brain isn't growing anymore. it's to be expected.

next im buying an hp workstation to edit on avid. i might not need vista, i think newegg sells the downgrades, but i hear vista business is good anyway so i just might-- what can't dual xeons handle anyway? now, dual xeons on a mac-- 50% EXTRA. plus another grand for 1/2ghz faster. ha ha ha ha! oh, the hilarity.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2008, 06:30 PM   #12
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
usually for laptops that come loaded with vista you cant find drivers for xp so many laptops wont work w/ downgrade to xp. desktops are more flexible.

vista's bugs are mostly patched, though it was buggy when it came out-- less buggy than xp when it came out though. my mac w/ the lates OSX (some kinda wildcat) still requires frequent updates and i get the "color wheel of death" every now & then. plus the programs take forever to start. even the fucking chess crashes 10% of the time-- it becomes frozen and won't let me win. it's all hype, i say.

re: old people who hate vista. old people hate everything new cuz they are used to their old ways & their brain isn't growing anymore. it's to be expected.

next im buying an hp workstation to edit on avid. i might not need vista, i think newegg sells the downgrades, but i hear vista business is good anyway so i just might-- what can't dual xeons handle anyway? now, dual xeons on a mac-- 50% EXTRA. plus another grand for 1/2ghz faster. ha ha ha ha! oh, the hilarity.

My Mac Pro:
-2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
-26 GB Ram
-Two 1 Terrabyte Glyph GT062 Storage Devices

HOLLER
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2008, 07:06 PM   #13
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptowonderdruginvogue
My Mac Pro:
-26 GB Ram

HOLLER

!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2008, 07:09 PM   #14
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
My Mac Pro:
-26 GB Ram

HOLLER

I am OFFICIALLY hollering at your machine.

Seriously, I would like to mount the thing, just to see how fast it renders.
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2008, 07:52 PM   #15
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by akprodr
Like Winston Smith drinking his Gin at the Chestnut Tree Cafe, I've come to terms with Bill Gates' abomination.

Does it still suck? Yeah. But most of the time it works resonably well.

i know, I am using this shit too,

Old 10.04.2008, 07:55 PM   #16
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
mac os x

going Mac is like choosing between Mussolini or Hitler..

Old 10.04.2008, 08:07 PM   #17
al shabbray

Quote:
mac os x

excactly

I prefer the tiger over the panther. most stable OS Ive ever used
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2008, 08:08 PM   #18
al shabbray

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
going Mac is like choosing between Mussolini or Hitler..

i think that comparison lacks a little bit of A LOT
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2008, 10:48 PM   #19
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
i do like macs but for the the things i want to do then a mac would be no good.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2008, 10:49 PM   #20
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Location: the land where large fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors
terriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy
i do like macs but for the the things i want to do then a mac would be no good.

And that would be everything, amirite?
terriblecanyons is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth