Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Help:Art inspired by cinema
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.07.2006, 09:50 AM   #1
johnnywinternoshow
the end of the ugly

johnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's asses
20% of my mark for my degree show coming up goes to documented research, I think it's dumb cus I've done research by watching the movies themselves, so now I'm putting together a hastily done book to go along with the work. I have to say which artists I've looked at to get inspiration, so I need to name ones that look at film or whatever, so far I've got brandon bird and benjamin turnbull. Can anyone think of any others?
johnnywinternoshow is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2006, 10:21 AM   #2
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnywinternoshow
20% of my mark for my degree show coming up goes to documented research, I think it's dumb cus I've done research by watching the movies themselves, so now I'm putting together a hastily done book to go along with the work. I have to say which artists I've looked at to get inspiration, so I need to name ones that look at film or whatever, so far I've got brandon bird and benjamin turnbull. Can anyone think of any others?

candice breitz, see if you can find a review of her show last year in london at the at the white cube gallery. i highly recommend checking her out. one piece she had called something like Mother & Father that consisted re-edited dialogue from famous films, in which the actor played a mother or a father. it's hard to explain briefly as it was a very intricate and stunning piece of work.

then also maybe the cinema of transgression people, richard kern, nick zedd etc.

maybe tony oursler as his early video work is narrative based, although not particularly cinematic.

kim gordon's perfect partner thing too
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2006, 10:34 AM   #3
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
check out this scottish guy douglas gordon who did 24-hour psycho

& other film-based pieces & installations

perhaps also cidy sherman's film stills?

when i think more i'll post
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2006, 10:44 AM   #4
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
Ditto what everyone has said plus... Christian Marclay had an installation at the White Cube in 2003 called Video Quartet that brilliantly intertwined scenes and audio from various movies to breathtaking effect...

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2006, 11:14 AM   #5
johnnywinternoshow
the end of the ugly

johnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's asses
brilliant, thanks everyone, hadn't heard of most of those people. Can't believe I forgot Marclay, i saw video quartet at the barbican last year, it was brilliant. "Guitar drag" was fantastic too
johnnywinternoshow is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2006, 12:48 PM   #6
FruitLoop
children of satan

FruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard sucka
^^ damn right, saw it at the White Cube in 2003, and sat there for an hour watching that thing over and over again in total awe.

Would Warhol's silkscreens of Marilyn Monroe and John Wayne count?
FruitLoop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth