Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Transgression Cinema
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.10.2008, 03:56 PM   #1
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Does anyone else like the early 80s Transgression/No Wave Cinema? I must say that I admire the works of Richard Kern (especially "Stray Dogs" and "X is Y" aswell as SY music video "Death Valley 69'"). Can anyone recommend something similar to Kern's clips?
Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2008, 04:23 PM   #2
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
you can

a) pick some names, and

b) have a laugh at the pomposity of the cinema of transgression manifesto

here

or alternatively go to the wikipedia entry.

i have to say though, reading that thing, john waters is way beyond that shit and was so before it even happened, all the while being funnier and manifesto-free.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2008, 04:31 PM   #3
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Haha, the manifesto is exactly what one has to expect from Nick Zedd. It's kinda funny actually. Hm I've heard of John Waters several times before but I never really watched any of his works. Maybe I should
Old 11.10.2008, 04:39 PM   #4
ruinedbyharps
little trouble girl

ruinedbyharps kicks all y'all's assesruinedbyharps kicks all y'all's assesruinedbyharps kicks all y'all's assesruinedbyharps kicks all y'all's assesruinedbyharps kicks all y'all's assesruinedbyharps kicks all y'all's assesruinedbyharps kicks all y'all's assesruinedbyharps kicks all y'all's assesruinedbyharps kicks all y'all's assesruinedbyharps kicks all y'all's assesruinedbyharps kicks all y'all's asses
early John Waters works but the Paul Morrissey/Warhol stuff was a massive influence on a lot of the no wave stuff too
ruinedbyharps is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2008, 04:46 PM   #5
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Ubuweb has some of the films. This link is not suitable for minors or people of a nervous disposition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2008, 04:52 PM   #6
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
fuck yeah-- john waters from the late 60s to the early 80s was awesome. later not so much, but i do like cecil b. demented (and cecil acts like that nick zedd manifesto, only better).

paul morrisey: boring as fuck (what i've seen anyway, but i don't feel like going further).

with john waters the peaks for me are: pink flamingos, desperate living
second tier (still great): mondo trasho, female trouble, polyester, cecil b. demented
third (pretty good): pecker, crybaby, hairspray (now a shitty musical, i hope he makes a ton of money from it though), serial mom...
ouch: a dirty shame (was a bit painful to watch).

i haven't seen his super-early stuff (roman candles, which he showed in his garage) or the diane linklater story.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2008, 06:55 PM   #7
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
I 2nd John Waters and also 2nd this breakdown. You should also check out the DVD of his stage show/stand-up/talk thing because it gives you a lot of insight about John himself through John's point of view. He's everyones favorite creepy, gay-as-a-maypole, but still lovable uncle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
with john waters the peaks for me are: pink flamingos, desperate living
second tier (still great): mondo trasho, female trouble, polyester, cecil b. demented
third (pretty good): pecker, crybaby, hairspray (now a shitty musical, i hope he makes a ton of money from it though), serial mom...
ouch: a dirty shame (was a bit painful to watch).

I can't sit through any of Kern's stuff. I've tried. I just can't get into it outside the DV 69 video.
Old 11.11.2008, 06:35 AM   #8
Antagon
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
I can't sit through any of Kern's stuff. I've tried. I just can't get into it outside the DV 69 video.

You should watch "X is Y", it's different than the most Kern stuff. It doesn't include excessive violence and it has no dialogue. I like the kind of style of that clip (A "Cop Shoot Cop" Song is used for the Soundtrack) and it provides a nice social criticism. I don't know how you think about it but thought it was kind of cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrOt6JVwv1w

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth