Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Rats-S/T (for Dead Moon Fans Especially)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.17.2009, 05:52 PM   #1
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Has anyone else heard this reissue of the early band of Fred Cole of Dead Moon? Its really really awesome and raw garage punk stuff. Dead Moon is a band I've gotten into recently and hated myself for not knowing about them earlier. They are a band that is just all about making great tunes and having fun, no capitalist bullshit of big rock bands, and none of the pretentiousness of a lot of indie bands. The Rats seemingly from this reissue had the same philosophy as Dead Moon, but they were rawer and more Punk. They also lack the Country influence of Dead Moon. Anyways, this album rules and everyone should check it out, and also Dead Moon if anyone doesn't know them.

I found a link to this last night but I can't find it now.
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2009, 05:59 PM   #2
viewtiful_alan
invito al cielo

viewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's asses
No I havent even hear dof htis. I know of the lollipop shoppe though

viewtiful_alan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2009, 06:00 PM   #3
sarramkrop

yeah the rats are neat
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2009, 06:27 PM   #4
Onani Nic
the end of the ugly

Onani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's asses
Killer band! Teenagers would have to be my favourite track on the LP. Pierced Arrows (the band after Dead Moon) sound great too, yet to pick up anything by them though.
Old 01.17.2009, 07:57 PM   #5
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
The Rats were awesome.

They actually put out three albums in their day. I would describe them as Dead Moon with a bit of the '80s punk/new wave side to them. Dead Moon were pretty punk really in a garagey sense, but not in the pop new wave way that the Rats had a bit of.

Here's a complete discography of Fred Cole up until 2006. Pretty incredible all he's done.

Dead Moon were the fucking best garage rock band live. I haven't seen Pierced Arrows yet though. I just don't get out like I used to.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.19.2009, 05:34 PM   #6
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
They actually put out three albums in their day. I would describe them as Dead Moon with a bit of the '80s punk/new wave side to them. Dead Moon were pretty punk really in a garagey sense, but not in the pop new wave way that the Rats had a bit of.

That little bit of contemporary punk/new-wave feel is most evident when you hear Toody Cole's vocal affectation on the chorus of "Panic on 39th". I had a laugh with a friend when the reissue came out about the idea of a panic actually happening on 39th in Portland. I can imagine a panic on SW 3rd, or especially where NE Sandy splits off Burnside.
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth