Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Anyone want to help me learn Spanish?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.15.2006, 03:19 PM   #1
bytheriver
bad moon rising

bytheriver is just really nicebytheriver is just really nicebytheriver is just really nicebytheriver is just really nice
Hi, I'm on a mission to learn as much Spanish as Humanly possible by July 6, when im going to Spain for awhile to really learn the language, and bum around. I have never spoken a word of it before today, and I dont know anybody who speaks it, but I do have the internet, and couple of Spanish language flicks on DVD, and a lot of free time. I figure a good fun way of learning, a little bit of it anyway, would be to learn songs and translate them, my problem is whilst i can glean some grammatical rules and get all the words from online dictionaries I'm pretty sure it'll just sound silly, so I was going to try and have a go and post the results here and if anyone was willing to correct them I'd be ultra mega grateful.

First up i'm trying Handshake Drugs by Wilco, cause ive just heard it, its simple chords and a really nice song, and the words seem fairly straight forward. I'll post my efforts fairly soon, as Im struggling at the mo. Irealise its a bit random but this seems a fairly busy forum so I thought it worth a shot.
bytheriver is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2006, 03:25 PM   #2
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
que odna guero?
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2006, 03:26 PM   #3
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i used to teach spanish while in gradschool.
my best advice is to find a private instructor or language school and get some intensive training.
if you can't afford it, at least get yourself something at the bookstore-- some kind of course. preferrably made in spain as their accent & pronounciation is different.
you can't learn a language from the internet unless you're my genius second-cousin who learned 12 languages from cassette tapes, including (!) chinese. but he slept on the floor and ate 12 eggs a day. raw ones.
anyway what the fuck is up with wilco? uh? learning spanish from gringos is never a good idea. but whatever...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2006, 03:28 PM   #4
bytheriver
bad moon rising

bytheriver is just really nicebytheriver is just really nicebytheriver is just really nicebytheriver is just really nice
wait wait I know that

what something white boy?

erm?
Old 06.15.2006, 03:30 PM   #5
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytheriver
wait wait I know that

what something white boy?

erm?

that's mexican slang. won't do shit for you in spain-- or get you beaten up, maybe
Old 06.15.2006, 03:32 PM   #6
bytheriver
bad moon rising

Well I'm only trying one, and if a genius is 12 x smarter than the average human the odds look good, and Im smart enough to cook an egg before I eat it.

You're probably right though
Old 06.15.2006, 03:36 PM   #7
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

if anything, you could try to get spanish tv over cable or the internet. at least it would get your ear accustomed, which is the slowest part. i mean you can figure out a verbe tense in a matter of minutes, and then practice, but the phonetics are what's harder to acquire.

and when i say spanish tv i don't mean chicano tv, mexican tv, or any of that. i mean TV from spain, like TVE or whatever. you could also rent movies by almodovar, bigas luna, etc etc. train your ear at least, that will give you a good headstart.

what else. oh yes. some language cd/tapes can't hurt. learn how to ask for the whereabouts of the crapper and what not.
Old 06.15.2006, 03:41 PM   #8
bytheriver
bad moon rising

Un hombre des nudos me ha robado los zapatos

thats the extent of my spanish so far, but mis manitos sienten el culito is backing it up.

anyone know how to say

I was chewing gum for something to do?
Old 06.15.2006, 03:44 PM   #9
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytheriver
Un hombre des nudos me ha robado los zapatos

thats the extent of my spanish so far, but mis manitos sienten el culito is backing it up.

anyone know how to say

I was chewing gum for something to do?

thats a hard one to translate as it's rather idiomatic. quit trying to translate or you'll never learn. i swear. i'm an expert. this in spite of the fact that typing accents in my laptop is a rather baroque procedure so i simply neglect it.
Old 06.15.2006, 03:49 PM   #10
bytheriver
bad moon rising

Ok , i'll put it on the backburner, I thought it'd be fun but if its of no use and time is limited.

I guess my abition to pick up a copy of Borges' Labyrinths in the original Spanish and be reading it within a month is a little unrealistic too.

Can you recommend any decent book/tape courses then?
Old 06.15.2006, 03:53 PM   #11
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

no, sorry. i taught in a classroom. i'd browse borders or amazon. if you want to post some links here to your preferred ones i'd give them a look.

you might try something like the berlitz schools too. but they are expensive.

nah, you're going to spain, you'll learn fast. post me some links here then i'll take a look.
Old 06.15.2006, 04:20 PM   #12
bytheriver
bad moon rising

Ok thanks
Old 06.15.2006, 04:20 PM   #13
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Lol @ Beck lyrics.

Husker85
Old 06.15.2006, 04:22 PM   #14
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
i think it means "what's up whiteboy?"
i know for sure that guero means whiteboy
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2006, 04:26 PM   #15
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Guero = Blondie
Old 06.15.2006, 04:26 PM   #16
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

gu:ero means blond
from then on the meaning gets extended & altered in context
--
pinches gabachos
Old 06.15.2006, 04:28 PM   #17
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
weeee won da woorlde cuup

id wait about 3 and a half weeks before saying that!
Old 06.15.2006, 04:29 PM   #18
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

ja ja paulybee

no creo que espan~a gane-- espero que brasil-- pero ellos hablan portuguEs
Old 06.15.2006, 04:42 PM   #19
bytheriver
bad moon rising

Going by tonights performance we've got about as much chance of winning the world cup as I do of picking up Spanish through mistranslated songs. But thats for another thread
Old 06.15.2006, 05:51 PM   #20
Pablitzen
the destroyed room

Pablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to behold
i speak spanish (it's my "native" language)
if there's anything you want to know, just ask

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth