Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page A few questions about death
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.28.2009, 05:58 PM   #1
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Do you think suicide is painless? Obviously, burning yourself alive will be painful. But does anyone think the actual act of suicide... self-inflicted death... will cause pain?

Also, what do you think happens when you die? I am kinda at a point where I believe in reincarnation... I'm going to die and be reborn as something else with no prior knowledge of this life...

Ultimately, I think spirituality in general is probably too confusing of a topic for the modern mind to comprehend. I am curious about your opinions, though, and I apologize if there's been a thread(s) about this, but it was hard to search for.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2009, 06:01 PM   #2
ploesj
invito al cielo

ploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's asses
i don't know how it feels to die, so i can' answer that first question. some ways of killing yourself might be pretty painless, like asphyxiating yourself so you just doze off in a sleep and don't wake up..

i don't know what happens when we die and no one has given any conclusive evidence to prove any theory, so i just ty to live my life accepting that it will end someday, and that this is my only chance at it.

flickr

ploesj is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2009, 06:13 PM   #3
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
1. It can be. Depends on your method.

2. I believe in spirits, and that the body is a mere shell. I don't believe in
Heaven or Hell, merely non-corporeal forms that continue to impact
the people they left behind in what the living recognize as their "world".

There is more to my belief than simply wanting to believe it, but that's
all I really care to go into on forum with people I don't really know.
Old 06.28.2009, 06:44 PM   #4
[Sandbag]
100%

[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses
i could think people who believe there's 'nothing' or 'something' after life are wrong, since 'nothing' and 'something(whatever that something is)' are both human concepts, and once our brain dies there are no more human concepts.

so that's what i think the afterlife is like... unexplainable and incomprehensible. it's ourselves, but with no body and no brain..
imagine you loose everything you physically are. all of your senses and perceptions and all the concepts and thoughts you got by using them in the life experience.

arghh
[Sandbag] is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2009, 06:44 PM   #5
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Sounds like death is an acid trip. Cool!

Old 06.28.2009, 06:47 PM   #6
[Sandbag]
100%

[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses
I was thinking the same.. but acid trips are more like all of our perceptions all mixed and confused.. death is more like no senses or perceptions at all.. meh, thats what I think..
Old 06.28.2009, 07:28 PM   #7
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
The indians of this continent developed a very articulate cosmology to describe the illusion of death where the physical dimension itself is simply a product of your spiritual imagination, and therefore death is simply transcending the limitations of this particular dimension, and experiencing the eternity of the universe, the infinity of pure energy. I believe that the multi-verse explained by string theory will eventually become the western equivalent to the mystical realms of ancient christianity and of the meso-americans..

e=mc2 all matter is merely condensed energy, pure energy, and the atom bomb was the proof. essentially the atom bomb proved the existence of the spirit when it proved that all matter is condensed energy. The body is the condensation of the soul (in the Orthodox christian liturgy there is a prayer which thanks Jesus for "condensing in the flesh in the womb of Mary"), like ice is solid water, the body is the solid soul. When the body dies, it is simply the soul changing phase, like ice melting to water, or water evaporating to a gas, or a gas speeding up to a plasma, at death the soul converts from matter to energy, and energy is eternal, which can never be destroyed, proving what Jesus said, "There are those amongst you who shall by no means be tasting death for the eon!"

of course, I could just be like Paul , "as he thus spake for himself, Festus said with a loud voice, Paul, thou art beside thyself; much scripture doth make thee mad!"

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2009, 07:50 PM   #8
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
I believe we are all results of recycled energy so in a sense reincarnation is possible, though unlikely.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2009, 08:44 PM   #9
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Sandbag]
i could think people who believe there's 'nothing' or 'something' after life are wrong, since 'nothing' and 'something(whatever that something is)' are both human concepts, and once our brain dies there are no more human concepts.

so that's what i think the afterlife is like... unexplainable and incomprehensible. it's ourselves, but with no body and no brain..
imagine you loose everything you physically are. all of your senses and perceptions and all the concepts and thoughts you got by using them in the life experience.

arghh
How are "unexplainable" and "incomprehensible" not human concepts while "nothing" and "something" are? In fact, I have a hard time understanding how you distinguish "nothing" from "incomprehensible" and "unexplainable."
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2009, 08:47 PM   #10
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I believe there is no metaphysically significant distinction between the animate and the inanimate. Death only concerns the living.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2009, 08:55 PM   #11
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Location: the land where large fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors
terriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's asses

terriblecanyons is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2009, 08:58 PM   #12
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses

Old 06.28.2009, 09:26 PM   #13
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
"Spirit" is a bit of an obsolete word i think, "Personality" is fairer and less subject to superstitious gobbledygook. As far as what happens when we die, the number of possible permutations that could occur to our minds and bodies after that point are beyond the comprehension of any person. I have to say i disconnect with people a bit when they tell me they believe any of this sort of thing, its often the false humility that sends me round the bend; at least sound like youre CERTAIN about it, that way we at least know where we stand. And if you aint, then consider your bets hedged, and the lord hates an intellectual coward (or the Lord SHOULD, given that its not for me to say)

I certainly hope suicide isnt painless, but i can imagine the psychological scenario in the lead up to the act would act as something of a painkiller as well as a motivation to beat whatever pain there may be.

Boy im in a mood.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2009, 09:32 PM   #14
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Oh, in all honesty, I want to blow the brains out the back of my skull, I'm not going to lie about it.

Old 06.28.2009, 10:25 PM   #15
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Apparently after having your head chopped off, you still have brain function for 10-15 seconds. So I'd imagine you feel pain. I think "quick and painless death" might be a bit of a myth.

I think we have immortal souls.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2009, 10:28 PM   #16
[Sandbag]
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
How are "unexplainable" and "incomprehensible" not human concepts while "nothing" and "something" are? In fact, I have a hard time understanding how you distinguish "nothing" from "incomprehensible" and "unexplainable."

read my post from 'it's ourselves' to 'experience' thats me trying to explain the afterlife which i said is unexplainable and incomprehensible which are human concepts that do not apply for the afterlife because we are not human once we die. you cant explain the afterlife using human concepts then. then the afterlife is unexplainable. but unexplainable is a human concept. and once we die we are not human anymore. so the afterlife is...

and now that's what i tried to say.
Old 06.28.2009, 11:06 PM   #17
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses
1. i don't know, i've never killed myself..... but if i did i would OD, which is painless

2. i don't know, it's not something i really give any thought to. i'll let you know when i die.

the fact of the matter is that no one knows, so i can't really understand why people get into heavy arguments about it. everyone is entitled to their beliefs and opinions and i don't have any.
Old 06.28.2009, 11:23 PM   #18
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
The theme to M*A*S*H has been running through my head since I read the first sentence of the OP...
Old 06.28.2009, 11:25 PM   #19
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Location: the land where large fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors
terriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
The theme to M*A*S*H has been running through my head since I read the first sentence of the OP...

Ditto
terriblecanyons is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2009, 12:38 AM   #20
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses
okay let me clarify...

i would overdose on heroin because it's painless.

that sucks btw. i'm glad he's alright.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth