Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page if you found out a good friend was a rapist/murderer/etc would you still be friends?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.28.2009, 09:08 PM   #1
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I have known this dude for a long time who recently admitted to me that he tried to rape a girl once and she fought him off. He said he felt really bad about it, though he still wants to rape women sometimes but he controls himself. This really kinda disturbed me and I just replied with, "uh, that's fucked up." I mean, what else could I say? He didn't confide in me, he was telling a bunch of people about it. He certainly didn't seem remorseful though again this was like 8 years ago, apparently.

Still, it made me stop and think... I don't want to hold people's past "sins " against them, and we all probably have some fucked up shit in our past. Also, along the same lines here, we don't ever REALLY know anybody... what people think, all that they've done and so on...

Anyway, I won't treat him too differently but I gotta admit that it was just really fucked up and I dunno if I want to be around him for a while because he just seems like a completely different person than the guy I "knew"...

My question for you is: If you had a friend who was a rapist or you found out they killed somebody or did something else really fucked up, would you still be their friend? Has this happened to anyone else?... Obviously, that's kind of a broad question and it probably depends on the circumstances, but I dunno.. I just don't know how I could ever look at this person the same way again. He wasn't really my friend but he was definitely a good acquaintance of mine.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2009, 09:11 PM   #2
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Rapist: no. I find sex crimes to be the foulest of all.
Murder: I'd have no problem being friends with a person that killed someone is self-defense or something. But no 1st degree.
Old 07.28.2009, 09:16 PM   #3
amerikangod
invito al cielo

amerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's asses
Well, let me ask you this... how do you all feel about me?

amerikangod is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2009, 09:23 PM   #4
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses
rape: no excuse. no.
murder: honestly i'm fine with that as long as they had a good reason.
Old 07.28.2009, 09:24 PM   #5
Anngella
expwy. to yr skull

Anngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's asses
Probably not. I also would stop being friends with someone if I found out they tortured animals.

http://slouchingsunflowers.tumblr.com/
Anngella is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2009, 09:24 PM   #6
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
if the killing is justifiable then sure, but any kind of sex crime: no.
Old 07.28.2009, 09:28 PM   #7
Anngella
expwy. to yr skull

Anngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
if the killing is justifiable then sure, but any kind of sex crime: no.
Statutory rape when guy is 19 and girl is 16 and it was consensual but the girl's parents found out and got mad? Gogogo.

http://slouchingsunflowers.tumblr.com/
Anngella is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2009, 09:33 PM   #8
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Yeeeeeeah. I just think, in general, I'm going to probably avoid him for a while. I'm just creeped out.

Old 07.28.2009, 09:42 PM   #9
amerikangod
invito al cielo

amerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's asses
Statutory rape ain't rape.

Old 07.28.2009, 09:44 PM   #10
Shifty Prophet
100%

Shifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's asses
This question hits home to me.

coming up I had a friend who's older brother always talked about ''rapin' this bitch, or that bitch'' and not in the joking manner either. He was an asshole and in the end did rape at least one girl, his story was that she wanted him and he didn't really wanna hit it, but did because ''pussy is pussy'' and then he ran his mouth so she said he raped her. I might could believe this from somebody else I knew, but it hit too close to home with that guy. He was convicted and chewed his peanut butter like a man.

Rapist, I would not want to be friends with, unless they really understood how much they fucked up and were willing to pay the consequences and change whatever the hell in them they needed to.

Killers. All the killers I know had reasons they did what they did, and for the most part I can see where they were coming from. Put in the same situation as some of my friends, a lot of self-righteous, uber moral snobs would pull the fucking trigger without thinking twice.
Shifty Prophet is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2009, 09:45 PM   #11
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerikangod
Statutory rape ain't rape.
thank you.
Old 07.28.2009, 09:47 PM   #12
dirty bunny
expwy. to yr skull

dirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's asses
It's interesting that a lot of people can't forgive rape, but are ok with killing. On the other hand, you can't rape in self-defense.

And to answer the central question, I guess honestly it would depend on the person, how removed it was from the time they did it, and only if they had changed.
Old 07.28.2009, 09:49 PM   #13
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
tough question. probably not.
Old 07.28.2009, 09:56 PM   #14
amerikangod
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan
thank you.

All of my usual joking aside, I completely hate how as a society we pretend we're not attracted to our sexually developed youth, as if having sex with them is unthinkable a day before their 18th birthday but totally squaresies the day after it.

If a 15 year-old girl is incredibly hot, I will want to do all kinds of things to her. Will I? Well, that depends on her maturity level. If she knew what she was getting into, could handle sex emotionally, and was of clear mind, I'd go for it. The only thing that'd really hold me back in that case would be the legality of it.

Old 07.28.2009, 10:33 PM   #15
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
Nope.

Fuck rapists and murderers.
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2009, 10:48 PM   #16
Shifty Prophet
100%

Shifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's asses
A lot of people who were acting in self defense are lumped into the category of murderers, so you should think twice about that shit.
Old 07.28.2009, 10:56 PM   #17
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
A friend of mine molested another friend of mine. They were both really drunk, though, and he was mortified and confessed to me. He also begged her to forgive him. She hasn't and probably never will, despite being one of the most vocal Christians I know, but I'm still friends with him considering the length of our friendship having been quite spotless and the sincerity of his remorse.

However, I don't think this situation is comparable to actual rape.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2009, 11:02 PM   #18
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

"Murder" is the unlawful killing of another person. Acting in self-defense (aka "a self defense killing", aka "not MURDER") goes without saying, since it's basically legal.

Old 07.28.2009, 11:03 PM   #19
girl!
little trouble girl

girl! kicks all y'all's assesgirl! kicks all y'all's assesgirl! kicks all y'all's assesgirl! kicks all y'all's assesgirl! kicks all y'all's assesgirl! kicks all y'all's assesgirl! kicks all y'all's assesgirl! kicks all y'all's assesgirl! kicks all y'all's assesgirl! kicks all y'all's assesgirl! kicks all y'all's asses
If they were accused? Don't know. Depends on how well I know the person.

If they did it and admitted to it. Nope. Sorry, that is no longer a friend of mine. I have no desire to be friends with a rapist or murderer, no matter how great a friend they were before that. Hell, even if it were family. No.

Of course, the exception of self-defense on the murder thing.
girl! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2009, 11:05 PM   #20
Shifty Prophet
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
"Murder" is the unlawful killing of another person. Acting in self-defense (aka "a self defense killing", aka "not MURDER") goes without saying, since it's basically legal.

There's the definition, there's what actually happened and there's what the judge wants to presume and deduce from the enviroment surrounding you.

I'm just saying, I know KNOW people in jail for murder that were defending themselves. Don't be naive, this can be a fucked world.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth