Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page PARIS...where to go?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.21.2006, 12:08 PM   #1
al shabbray

Hi there I will be in Paris from august 15th till august 31st.
not for the first time, got to know some really cool places like the record store "Bimbo TOWER".
can anybody give me some advices where to go if I like/love:
Sonic Youth
Music in general
Art (ok I know a lot of the more well known museums) please some extravagant stuff
graphics
and a lot else

thank you very much....

it would be great if you got some adresses and/or metro stations
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2006, 03:46 PM   #2
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Père-Lachaise cemetary is interesting to see. Lot's of artists buried there.
Oscar Wilde, Modigliani, Edith Piaf, Jim Morrison, etc
Take the virtual tour here.

Centre Pompidou if you like art. Lots of modern art. You can see Warhol, Duchamp, Picasso and many more.
http://www.centrepompidou.fr/Pompido...unnel?OpenForm

If you like eating, then you should really try Favela Chic. It's a very good brazilian resturant near Place de la Republique. I don't know the address but tourist info will for sure. It's one of Paris's best kept secrets, and you'll have to go early (sixish) or you won't get in cause it's always packed. Tappa's, Caipirinha and great music. What I like is that you can dress casual and sit on a long table with complete stranger and it's festive, let me tell you!

Bastille is a great place to go pub hopping and clubbing at night.
The jewish area of the city called le Marais has very trendy shops and falafel places. Good food and great for a sunday stroll.
The Picasso museum is in one of the side streets.

There's also a small Dali museum that has rare Alice in wonderland scetches he did, and important sculpture's.

I have an uncle living there and I go often. It's a great city to visit.
Enjoy!
Old 07.21.2006, 05:02 PM   #3
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Eiffel Tower. and The Louvre.

afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2006, 10:45 PM   #4
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
DO NOT go to either the eiffel tower or the fucking louvre. they are boring and filled with fat dumb balding chinless americans. if you must visit museums go to the museum of modern art (there is never anyone in there hardly. it is right by the tunnel where princess diana was killed if that helps, i can't read maps.), and make sure to pay a visit to the moulin rouge.
Old 07.22.2006, 03:08 AM   #5
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Have a wander around the Latin Quarter. I had been to Paris four or five times before I went there, and it opened up a whole new face of the city to me.

I quite liked the area around Chatelet metro station too. You could easily use that as a starting point for a visit to the Latin Quarter, as they're across the Seine from one another (via Ile de la Cite).
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.22.2006, 04:16 AM   #6
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
DO NOT go to either the eiffel tower or the fucking louvre. they are boring and filled with fat dumb balding chinless americans. if you must visit museums go to the museum of modern art (there is never anyone in there hardly. it is right by the tunnel where princess diana was killed if that helps, i can't read maps.), and make sure to pay a visit to the moulin rouge.

ahh c'mon, you cant go to Paris and not got to the Eiffel Tower.
Old 07.22.2006, 04:24 AM   #7
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Oscar Wilde is quoted as having said that his favourite place in Paris was the Eiffel Tower, on account of it being the only place in Paris from where you couldn't see the Eiffel Tower.
Old 07.22.2006, 04:38 AM   #8
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
For different forms of music, go to rue Keller (metro Bastille, exit rue de la Roquette - straight ahead, pass a little fountain, then it should be the second street on yr right) : there's a least 3 record stores dedicated to three different musical styles. As I'm into garage rock, I go to Born Bad (Billy Childish, Scientists, live Cramps, vinyls to CD). But there's also a shop doing weirder things. The only thing I knew what something related to Einstürzende Neubauten - not sure though.
Bastille is stuffed with bars trying to be trendier than the neighbour, so take your time when you're there.
Gibert Jeune in the latin quarter provides usually lots of stuff, from DVDs to CDs, plus 7" (that where I saw Mariah Carey & the Arthur Doyle Hand Cream). Metro station Odeon, rue Saint Michel, across the Sorbonne. Gibert has several shops, don't get confused.
In the same area, no need to take the tube, turn around and walk down rue Saint Michel towards the river. Fountain Saint Michel. Turn on yr left, enter a narrow street filled with people (little shops, simili-restaurants), first on yr right, rue Gît-le-Coeur. There will be one cinema, and a library called le Regard Moderne. Try it. Books about music (or written by musicians) will be on your right, cinema behind you, and all around... treasures. Don't expect to find something straight away as the place has its own peculiar style...

Museums : the Orangerie, metro Concorde. I like it for it's small one. You don't get the impression that you're gonna miss something if you don't walk faster. Be sure to see the Nymphéas there.
Jeu de Paume, 1 place de la Concorde (same area). There's a Cindy Sherman retrospective there (haven't been there though; stops early September).

And I'd also recommend le Père Lachaise. It's really quiet & you'll need calm during these 2 weeks in the capital (on the other hand, holidays, streets might be less crowded).

Enjoy it.
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.22.2006, 04:42 AM   #9
sonicl
invito al cielo

^
Listen to this man, he knows what he's talking about.
Old 07.22.2006, 10:32 AM   #10
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
Oscar Wilde is quoted as having said that his favourite place in Paris was the Eiffel Tower, on account of it being the only place in Paris from where you couldn't see the Eiffel Tower.

ha ha! thats funny. list to my man Bertrand, he know his shit... or maybe to quote a french man...il connaît sa merde
Old 07.22.2006, 10:49 AM   #11
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand
For different forms of music, go to rue Keller (metro Bastille, exit rue de la Roquette - straight ahead, pass a little fountain, then it should be the second street on yr right) : there's a least 3 record stores dedicated to three different musical styles. As I'm into garage rock, I go to Born Bad (Billy Childish, Scientists, live Cramps, vinyls to CD). But there's also a shop doing weirder things. The only thing I knew what something related to Einstürzende Neubauten - not sure though.
Bastille is stuffed with bars trying to be trendier than the neighbour, so take your time when you're there.
Gibert Jeune in the latin quarter provides usually lots of stuff, from DVDs to CDs, plus 7" (that where I saw Mariah Carey & the Arthur Doyle Hand Cream). Metro station Odeon, rue Saint Michel, across the Sorbonne. Gibert has several shops, don't get confused.
In the same area, no need to take the tube, turn around and walk down rue Saint Michel towards the river. Fountain Saint Michel. Turn on yr left, enter a narrow street filled with people (little shops, simili-restaurants), first on yr right, rue Gît-le-Coeur. There will be one cinema, and a library called le Regard Moderne. Try it. Books about music (or written by musicians) will be on your right, cinema behind you, and all around... treasures. Don't expect to find something straight away as the place has its own peculiar style...

Museums : the Orangerie, metro Concorde. I like it for it's small one. You don't get the impression that you're gonna miss something if you don't walk faster. Be sure to see the Nymphéas there.
Jeu de Paume, 1 place de la Concorde (same area). There's a Cindy Sherman retrospective there (haven't been there though; stops early September).

And I'd also recommend le Père Lachaise. It's really quiet & you'll need calm during these 2 weeks in the capital (on the other hand, holidays, streets might be less crowded).

Enjoy it.

wow, I gotta go to Paris now. and when I do, I'm printin' this shite out...
Old 07.22.2006, 10:51 AM   #12
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterthefact
wow, I gotta go to Paris now. and when I do, I'm printin' this shite out...

yeah i know man, told ya... Bertrand...il connaît sa merde!!
Old 07.22.2006, 10:57 AM   #13
afterthefact
invito al cielo

dammit, I wish I knew French haha
Old 07.22.2006, 11:05 AM   #14
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterthefact
dammit, I wish I knew French haha

ha ha!, it means Bertrand knows his shit!
Old 07.22.2006, 11:08 AM   #15
afterthefact
invito al cielo

that's great, I'll have to use that one more often now
Old 07.22.2006, 11:16 AM   #16
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

cool little language translator thingy...
Old 07.22.2006, 11:19 AM   #17
afterthefact
invito al cielo

I totally forgot about that site! I used to use it all the time when I was dating a girl from Brazil
Old 07.22.2006, 03:20 PM   #18
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
the fucking louvre is fucking amazing if you focus on the artwork & not the fat chinless americans. i mean summer is a bad time to go to paris so the americans will be everywhere. but i digress.

there is a great ice cream place called berthillon in one of the seine islands-- i forget

go wherever there are no tourists. and try to use whatever french you know-- people are irritated with american tourists imposing their english this time of the year.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.22.2006, 03:23 PM   #19
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonkey
ahh c'mon, you cant go to Paris and not got to the Eiffel Tower.
Been there... it's cool to be on the top but that's it.
BTW It's filled with chinese tourists there, really when I went there i scared me to see how many there were...
Old 07.22.2006, 07:00 PM   #20
space_monkey
bad moon rising

space_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's asses
Go To Montenegro
space_monkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth