Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Birdwatching
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.01.2006, 11:29 PM   #1
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Yesterday, I went for a bike ride and saw an awesome red-winged blackbird. For y'all that haven't seen one before, they look like this:

Are there any other birdwatchers out there? I usually make special trips to birdwatch a couple times a year. I'd like to go more, but I usually end up mixing it in with camping and fishing and so on.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2006, 05:05 AM   #2
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
I like a spot of birdwatching. Usually it's places quite local to me such as Thurtaston Country PArk and Bidston Hill. Also we get a lot of migrating coastal birds in the Dee estuary.

Sometimes in Chester we see a raven, which is great.

Sometimes there are special ferry cruises out into Liverpool bay for the purpose of birdwatching. On last September's we watched Arctic Terns, which was very nice.

WHen I see something intereseting from now on, I'll post in this thread.

Common-fairly common for us are: bullfinches, peregrine falsons, greenfinches, great tits, blue tits, moorhens, kestrels, woodpeckers and many more, especially wader types.

In our (small, urban) garden, we only get magpies, jays, blackbirds and a few others with any regularity.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2006, 05:09 AM   #3
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Hip Priest, I bet there are lots of birds you see often that I have never seen.

I actually considered building a set-up with a mic and parabola for recording birds. I have a book (The Singing Life of Birds by Donald Kroodsma) that explains how to do it. Birdsong is really interesting. I am a huge nerd.
Old 04.02.2006, 05:10 AM   #4
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

My pic of a Scarlet Tanager that I took in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park:

Old 04.02.2006, 05:11 AM   #5
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

There are a lot of Killdeer around here now. I hear them squawking as I drive around. The little bastards will pretend to be injured if you go near their nests.
Old 04.02.2006, 05:25 AM   #6
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
I'm just now about to get into the whole birdsong thing. I've been trying a bit, and I'm armed with some recordings to help me learn.

I live close to pockets of very accessible but under-used countryside, so there are decent populations of nice things. We're also furtunate to live close to two very different rivers - the industrial Mersey on one side and the protected Dee on the other. We get a lot of migratory birds here.

Old 04.02.2006, 05:32 AM   #7
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Arctic Terns; they are great to watch in flight, swooping and turning, harrasing the other birds.

Old 04.02.2006, 05:34 AM   #8
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

I've only seen arctic terns on TV.
Old 04.02.2006, 05:44 AM   #9
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Well, right now I'm logging off to go for a walk around the West Kirby area, so there's a chance I'll see some waders.

Old 04.02.2006, 02:20 PM   #10
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I love spotting a cardinal when everything is blanketed in snow.
Old 04.02.2006, 02:38 PM   #11
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
i just saw a fox walk through my garden.

although not a bird, it is still quite rare and wildlife related.
jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2006, 06:49 PM   #12
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Fox...rare? Don't know about that. I used to see them around town quite a lot. Well, I saw what I'm sure was the same fox 3 times in Leicester (it had a limp). I was at a pedestrian crossing waiting for the green man and this fox came up and sat on the kerb and waited for the light with me. It was a bit weird. Then I saw it in the same area a couple of other times.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2006, 03:09 AM   #13
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

This a cool page from a book from 1650 called Musurgia Universalis by Athanasius Kircher:

The parrot is saying "hello" in Classical Greek.
Old 04.03.2006, 03:13 AM   #14
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

That book is full of the coolest illustrations ever:

Old 04.03.2006, 03:13 AM   #15
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

Look at this keyboard with the extra keys to make up for the retarded systems of tuning they had back then:

Old 04.03.2006, 08:53 AM   #16
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
I plan to do some this summer since I get up at sunrise to go to work. The bike ride on the way there is beautiful because I pass waterfalls and rapids on a riverside bikepath, so I stop to watch the sunrise all the time and there's plenty of birds
Inhuman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2006, 09:21 AM   #17
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
Fox...rare? Don't know about that. I used to see them around town quite a lot. Well, I saw what I'm sure was the same fox 3 times in Leicester (it had a limp). I was at a pedestrian crossing waiting for the green man and this fox came up and sat on the kerb and waited for the light with me. It was a bit weird. Then I saw it in the same area a couple of other times.

it was quite rare for me, but perhaps not as rare as some other animals i suppose. thats only the second fox i have ever seen in my life.

i did see a kingfisher get a fish once which was pretty amazing and a pike grab another smaller fish but thats my wildlife story's over in the blink of an eye.
jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2006, 09:55 AM   #18
saoq
bad moon rising

saoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to behold
there's this composer, Olivier Messiaen, who used to sit and notate birds singing. - that's some ear i say! I think he incorporated several birdsongs into his music.
saoq is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2006, 09:02 PM   #19
RIPfrey05
the end of the ugly

RIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard sucka
bird watching is boring..unles your talking about watching "birds" as in gals
http://www.myspace.com/thefloridaorangebirds
MY FUCKING BAND
RIPfrey05 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.15.2006, 10:43 AM   #20
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Today we went on a trip into Liverpool bay, organised by the RSPB and Liverpool Museum. A very pleasant afternoon, with the following sightings (in order):

Sandwich Tern
Kittiwake
Common Gull
Lesser Black-Backed Gull
Greater Black-Backed Gull
Shag
Guillemot
Cormorant
Arctic Tern
Common Tern
Arctic Shua
Long-Tailed Skua
Red-Throated Diver
Great Crested Grebe
Herring Gull
Common Scoter
Bar-Tailed Godwit
Mediteranean Gull

(also some seals and porpoises, but they are obviously not birds)

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth